Front deraileur not shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wkisby

Hi all, I came off my new road bike earlier today and none of the gears were shifting at all after. I've sorted the rear gears nicely, however had alot of chain rub even in the medium rings so started to adjust the front deraileur position and play with the limit screws.

Not sure if something happened in the fall or after when I've adjusted something, but when I use the shifter now the cable moves whilst the front deraileur (Shimano Claris) stays still. I can get it to move manually by pushing it. The cable is interally routed, haven't checked the cable at the shifter end as I don't want to take the bar tape off unless I need to?

I'm hoping something is just out of alignment rather than broken? Any ideas?

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Have a couple of suggestions for you:
1) Stuff under the bar tape is unlikely to have shifted. But be aware you can remove/replace the gear cables without removing bar tape.
2) If the FD cable moves when you operate the STI ["when I use the shifter now the cable moves"] and the FD doesn't, yet you can move it by hand ["I can get it to move manually by pushing it"], the cable clamp bolt is insufficiently tight.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
When you come off you can inadvetently knock the front mech with yuor foot. Check its alignment and also distance abov/e below chain rings

Jameshow

Veteran
Can you move the FD by hand using the short length if exposed cable.

If so I would look at the shifter. Was it knocked /scraped etc?

OP
OP
W

wkisby

Ajax was right about the cable clamp bolt! I had tightened the cable as much as I possibly could, but actually needed to loop the cable around a small pin next to the bolt, presumably so it now pulls in the right direction. Not sure if this is a legit method, but I also tightened/loosened the L screw before/after tightening the clamp bolt, which helped tension the cable further.

Then just had to re-align everything again, which was a painful process as I kept getting gear rub, but now it's finally working beautifully!

Thanks all for the help.

Top Bottom