Probably shouldn't have bothered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Had someone zip past me way too close taking off from a traffic lights on my way in this morning - guessing they didn't like me stopping in front of them at the lights and sitting in primary - which was totally necessary as there was a van parked at the side of the road after the crossing.

Car stopped at the next lights, no one between me and them, well, you know what, I'm not going to shout and scream at them, let's just try being very polite and friendly. "Good morning! Just wanted to let you know you passed me way too close back there - it's pretty scary for us when people do that". She replies "oh I do apologise, hope you are ok, I'll be more careful in the future".

Hahaha did she ****. She just got all defensive and mouthy at me coming up with nonsense about how I should have been looking behind me when she passed or something how it wasn't that close at all I'm just exagerrating. I just say "look, I don't mean to ruin your day before it's even begun, I just wanted to let you know that you should give at least three feet when passing which honestly you didn't do". Yack yack yack lights turn green I ride off.

I dunno. At least she didn't come out with the cliches.

g00se

Veteran
Don't you know, everybody in the world - and their dog - are great drivers. How dare you insinuate otherwise! :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
Jezston said:
Had someone zip past me way too close taking off from a traffic lights on my way in this morning - guessing they didn't like me stopping in front of them at the lights and sitting in primary - which was totally necessary as there was a van parked at the side of the road after the crossing.

Car stopped at the next lights, no one between me and them, well, you know what, I'm not going to shout and scream at them, let's just try being very polite and friendly. "Good morning! Just wanted to let you know you passed me way too close back there - it's pretty scary for us when people do that". She replies "oh I do apologise, hope you are ok, I'll be more careful in the future".

Hahaha did she ****. She just got all defensive and mouthy at me coming up with nonsense about how I should have been looking behind me when she passed or something how it wasn't that close at all I'm just exagerrating. I just say "look, I don't mean to ruin your day before it's even begun, I just wanted to let you know that you should give at least three feet when passing which honestly you didn't do". Yack yack yack lights turn green I ride off.

I dunno. At least she didn't come out with the cliches.

Many car drivers see their car as an extension of their living room, so they tend to get very upset/defensive when a stranger comes to their living room to inform them of some not very clever driving.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I never bother to point out drive errors as 9 times out of 10, they'll get all defensive and the conversation ends up being worse than the incident itself.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Moodyman said:
I never bother to point out drive errors as 9 times out of 10, they'll get all defensive and the conversation ends up being worse than the incident itself.

Quite, although I'd like to think that while she'll never admit it to herself that she was wrong, she is at least aware of it, and will give cyclists more room in the future.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bl00dy Cyclists !

Top Bottom