probably the best thing your gunna buy this winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

What kind of temperatures / distance would you need to be riding to need something like that?

OP
OP
walker

walker

maybe its just me then. I thought Sunday morning was extremely cold, and I did have 3 layers on, But then I did forget my overshoes.

Bigtallfatbloke

The last three days here is essex have been bloody cold...horrible easterly wind. I have had a base layer, two shirts and an Altura night vision jacket on...this morning I added arm warmers..all this on top of my Gore bib tights. I also have 2 pairs of warm wooly socks and neoprene overshoes on. Oh yeah then there is the high vis vest, gloves, sweatband & for half of todays 20 miles I wore a Bayern Munchen wooly hat under the helmet!
I am not sure how much more I can wear when it gets really cold...so maybe this is a plan.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Do they have them in Maplin stores?

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Bigtallfatbloke said:
The last three days here is essex have been cold...horrible easterly wind. ....for half of todays 20 miles I wore a Bayern Munchen wooly hat under the helmet!

As an Englishman (presumably) you admitted wearing a Bayern München wooly hat!! You have been found guilty of a most heinous crime, and it is the sentence of this Court that you be taken hence .....

How cold is cold in Essex at the moment? The morning commute here has been around 2 to 6 centigrade and a bit breezy. Headband, mask (at the lower end of the temp), lightish jacket, bib longs and thick Tchibo boots and I have kept reasonably warm. I wonder if perhaps you are putting too much on, this is making you sweat which in turn causes you to freeze. OTOH you are clearly doing a bit over double the distance that I have to to get to work, so the cold has a time to freeze those parts that other weathers cannot reach.

When I first started doing winters, I wore too much, especially a good jacket replete with detachable fleece lining. I have since discovered that I only really need the fleece if it gets below about minus 7° or 8° C.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Whereas my nose can be agony sometimes.

Do they do heating elements you can stick up your nostrils?

I bought a skiing mask, with a bit that goes over my nose. As this causes the specs to steam up, I pulled it down a tad, and the effect is that the warm air you breath out is directed over the rest of your face, keeping it warmish.

The alternative, I suppose, is to ride along with two fingers stuck up your nose .... :evil:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I got one today, so I can safely say that the Edgware Road Maplins doesn't have any in stock.

Haven't bought it for the bike, just for those days when i end up having to stand around in the cold for ages.

Migth take it out on the bike as a gilet, and turn it on iff I stop somewhere cold for a ciggie/pint!!!!

Top Bottom