Problems with Latex tube valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi But hope this the right section to post this question, After suffer more punctures than I would like I was down to my last spare tube put vittoria latex tube in (bought this tube in a moment of madness) though having put it in the tyre And guess what with my ultralite track pump nomatter what I did to support the pump head assemby I could only get about 30psi in the tube, had to get to about 60psi with a 150mm Lesyne pump which is able to be screwed securely to the tube Valve I know the those double headed fittings are perhaps suspect With the schrader and presta fittings see the pictures enclosed. Has anybody else experianced these problemsOr perhaps point me to a more relable fitting for my track pump Thanks

Vittoria Latex tube valve and Duel Pump head .JPG

Vittoria Latex tube Valve .JPG

Tube and Box.JPG

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hi But hope this the right section to post this question, After suffer more punctures than I would like I was down to my last spare tube put vittoria latex tube in (bought this tube in a moment of madness) though having put it in the tyre And guess what with my ultralite track pump nomatter what I did to support the pump head assemby I could only get about 30psi in the tube, had to get to about 60psi with a 150mm Lesyne pump which is able to be screwed securely to the tube Valve I know the those double headed fittings are perhaps suspect With the schrader and presta fittings see the pictures enclosed. Has anybody else experianced these problemsOr perhaps point me to a more relable fitting for my track pump Thanks

View attachment 649455

View attachment 649456

View attachment 649457

I had latex tubes many years ago, no problems pumping them up, though they don't hold air like a 'normal' tube and need pumping after most rides.
The only obvious thing I notice, is that you haven't unscrewed the valve thingy*?

If not faulty valve...

*The air pressure in an inflated tire holds the inner valve body shut. A small screw and captive nut on the top of the valve body permits the valve to be screwed shut and ensure that it remains tightly closed.

The nut must be unscrewed to permit airflow in either direction. The screw remains captive on the valve body even when unscrewed fully; it is tightened again after the tire is inflated and the pump removed. The valve cap protects the valve body, keeps dirt and mud out of the mechanism, and also prevents the valve from damaging the tube when it is rolled for storage, but is not necessary to prevent pressure loss

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Assuming that you have opened the valve as mentioned above, you probably need to push the pump-head further on. It won't seal very well on the removable valve (the silver bit - it has flats for removal as well as the thread). If you can get the pump-head on to the brass section you'll probably find you can achieve the pressure you need.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replys, yes I do know about unscrewing the knuled headed nut on top of the valve to enable air to pass into the tube. please don't be offended I have done all of your above sugestions & Ian H try as I might I can't get the track pump head any further on the tube valve (its almost as if the hole in the pump fitting is about a mm to shallow so stopping the fitting enguaging?) . though I must admit that marjority of tubes are fine but one or two tubes the head of the pump fitting has to be wedged exactly square so as to admit air

Chislenko

Veteran
Personally I always find it easier to attach the pump with the valve at the bottom of the wheel then you are pressing against the floor.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks for all your replys, yes I do know about unscrewing the knuled headed nut on top of the valve to enable air to pass into the tube. please don't be offended I have done all of your above sugestions & Ian H try as I might I can't get the track pump head any further on the tube valve (its almost as if the hole in the pump fitting is about a mm to shallow so stopping the fitting enguaging?) . though I must admit that marjority of tubes are fine but one or two tubes the head of the pump fitting has to be wedged exactly square so as to admit air

I take it that your track pump head works perfectly well on other tubes with presta valves.
Maybe this particular tube has a faulty valve.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Didn't think the valve unscrewing would be the problem, but best mention it.

However I'd not discount its just a faulty valve, like any component.

As @Chislenko suggests, mine also tend to pump up better at the bottom, either 5 or 7 o'clock, just winding the nut back a bit when fully unscrewed sometimes helps?

Or annoyingly faulty valve :sad:

In between getting other jobs done, I thought I'd just have another go at using alittle bit of brute force. So got the tube out of the box and really pushed quite hard on track pump head on the valve and much to my amazement the pump head just went that extra milimetre just as far as the brass section of the valve and the air started to enter tube so thanks Ian H perhaps I too gentle in my approch to some tasks, still we will see how it turns out once agian thanks all

Top Bottom