Product Design A level project bike safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim Bentley

For a level product design I’m looking at producing a bike indicator or bike safety aid for a commuter. To help grasp the key questions I have some questions that would be relay helpful for you to answer. Therefore by creating a range I know if this product or ideas are viable. Thanks for the help, Freddy.

1. What problems do you face as a current cyclist, which is the most significant and why?

2. Do you believe indicating is an issue that needs to be addressed, if so, why, in terms of the problems. How do you believe they can be eradicated?

3. As a non-cyclist, what do you fear could/will happen when cycling and what makes you think this? How can I increase the amount of cyclists?

4. How do you believe more commuters could be attracted to cycling as their mode of transport, that’s within my control?

5. Do you believe commuters is the right audience to target, if not who and why? If so what are the reasons why I should?

6. Do you believe the weight of the product should be considered, bearing in mind the impact this may have on efficiency?

7. Do you face any issues with bike lights that could be improved?

8. Do you believe an electric bike light is better than a battery powered bike light? What makes you think this?

9. Do you find cycling as a struggle for a commuter? What makes you believe this?

10. How much do you believe as a commuter, you should pay for a bike indicator? How much for an advanced cyclist? How much for a beginner?

11. Do you believe colour or aesthetics should be a certain colour and should this be a factor?

12. Do you find getting through stand –still traffic is a problem? Is this because of, confidence or genuine unsafety? How much does this disrupt your timings of cycling to work or is it mainly cycle paths?

classic33

Leg End Member
One of the biggest problems is that we are often not seen as legal road vehicles. Often because the vehicle of choice isn't considered a viable road vehicle.

Indicators on a bicycle can be a greater danger than not having them on.
They're closer together than on any other road vehicle.

Their use isn't expected, so could confuse.

Getting through traffic that is at a
standstill can be easy or can be hard. What we, as cyclists, need to realise/remember is that we are traffic. Often subject to the same problems that bring other traffic to a standstill.

Seevio

Guru
8. Either the question needs rewording or you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how lights work.

Dynamo lights seems to be the only feasible alternative that fits the question. Just to prove I'm not completely unhelpful, my battery lights will limp along on low battery state long enough to complete my commute so it's not an issue for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
8. Either the question needs rewording or you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how lights work.

Dynamo lights seems to be the only feasible alternative that fits the question. Just to prove I'm not completely unhelpful, my battery lights will limp along on low battery state long enough to complete my commute so it's not an issue for me.
I took the question as meaning an e-bike. The same battery supplying power to the lights

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Jim,

Something affordable that detects, records , and reports on close passes would be far more useful. Perhaps recording date , time, location, how close, how fast and automatically loading to some Police supported website. Then the police and policy makers will have a large amount of data on locations and times drivers are undertaking dangerous driving manuevers around cyclists.

Cycle indicators are a bit like chocolate fire guards or ash trays on motorbikes.

OP
OP
J

Jim Bentley

Thanks a lot that’s been very helpful. I will look at these issues/solutions. Seevio I mean a disposable battery as your bike light or usb rechargeable.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cycle indicators are a bit like chocolate fire guards or ash trays on motorbikes.
...if those things were marketed every two years or so as though they were a completely new idea and a veritable breakthrough in road safety. Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times bike indicators have popped up as the latest and greatest safety aid for cycling.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
...if those things were marketed every two years or so as though they were a completely new idea and a veritable breakthrough in road safety. Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times bike indicators have popped up as the latest and greatest safety aid for cycling.

Exactly, everyone knows what 'sticking your arm out' means, not a flashy light 3 inches to one side.

Top Bottom