Product Idea Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey there,
I have been doing some research with the ultimate aim of designing a product that would help other to spot or detect cyclist. I decided against designing a bicycle light due to an already crowded market in that area. So have started to look into sensors, camera, radio and infrared waves.
I have a couple basic ideas:
* One of the ideas is similar to the Cycle Alert's HGV-cyclist sensor system. Where sensors are fitted to lorries and bicycles triggering a alert when in proximity to each other.
*Another idea is to use fit camera onto a HGV that use face detection that will also trigger an alarm or alert when close by.

Could you give me your honest opinion and any possible ideas you have will be much appreciated

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How about a helmet the driver wears that gives em a swift clip round the ear whenever they get within 2 feet of a moving bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
What would power the helmet mounted system?

With regards HGV's and cyclist sensors. Volvo, amongst others have already carried out the research and come up with working prototypes.

* One of the ideas is similar to the Cycle Alert's HGV-cyclist sensor system. Where sensors are fitted to lorries and bicycles triggering a alert when in proximity to each other.
The huge majority of lorry drivers use their eyes and their professionalism; the minority who don't ... well, they're not going to pay attention to any alert?
*Another idea is to use fit camera onto a HGV that use face detection that will also trigger an alarm or alert when close by.
Umm - the scariest encounters with lorries are when they're coming up behind me, and want to overtake. Bum-cheek recognition? No thank you!

Sorry - that sounds very negative.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What would power the helmet mounted system?

With regards HGV's and cyclist sensors. Volvo, amongst others have already carried out the research and come up with working prototypes.
I put a bit of thought into this (I have a qualification in 3 dimensional design and realisation) and a simple spring loaded device (bit like a big mousetrap) would be ideal, of course it would need to cut the ignition of the vehicle until re-set (manually) but as a training aid I think half a dozen 'clips' should be sufficient to teach the driver to look for cyclists.

classic33

Leg End Member
I put a bit of thought into this (I have a qualification in 3 dimensional design and realisation) and a simple spring loaded device (bit like a big mousetrap) would be ideal, of course it would need to cut the ignition of the vehicle until re-set (manually) but as a training aid I think half a dozen 'clips' should be sufficient to teach the driver to look for cyclists.
The driver wears a helmet as well then?

Education to drivers to bother looking properly would help more. As would proper punishment for infringements.

Top Bottom