Project Colossal

Mammoth: Yay or Nay?

• Put the matter before the ethics committee

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • What could possibly go wrong

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Go big or go home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can you ride a mammoth? Hold my beer...

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sounds more like a high concept movie franchise.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have they asked the Asian elephant?

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Project Colossal aims to recreate an asian elephant-mammoth hybrid that looks mostly mammoth . The higher purpose is to create a high lattitude beastie that can engineer an ecosystem back to cold grassland.

Think you've missed off the option that with global warming it'll be a waste of effort / better spend the money on conserving existing endangered species / ...
Headline grabber for scientific funding, but ...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Honestly, if you were making up the biography of a generic tech bro, you'd write this:

When Lamm was at Amy's Ice Cream in Austin a couple years ago, he distinctly remembers a moment of being jealous of the employee serving him ice cream.​
"This person was very happy .... It was one of those places where you put stuff in the ice cream and they were like, 'that is such a great choice,'" Lamm tells CNBC. "And they were truly happy in that moment and I remember thinking in that moment, 'Man, I am kind of jealous of that.'"​
As an entrepreneur and a technologist, Lamm is always living in tomorrow. Often, that makes it a struggle for him to be content in the present moment.​
"It's more than just a longing for tomorrow, as in a longing to help push that company or people or market or society into tomorrow," Lamm tells CNBC. "I sometimes do feel like it's a burden."​

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/06/how-ben-lamm-started-five-companies.html

Maybe it's him that bought the Wu-Tang album.

Reactions: C R
This would be the attempt 2 as the Japanese / Russian team advised in 2011 that they would bring back the wooly mammoth in 5 years. They never did. They are still persevering with a revised force cast of another decade announced in 2019.

This new claim is for mammoth asian elephant hybrid.

Thought exciting scientifically and the issues of ethics would arise and dominate, there are 2 elements of the intention that appear to be spin. One is the desire to save Asian elephants from extinction and the other is deforest the artic tundra with the use of mammoth hybrid so the terrain becomes the grassland it was.

I think what they are looking for is developing new technologies in biomedical science and licensing it which is fair enough.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A professor from the natural history museum was on the radio discussing it. She declined the invite to be part of the study.
It’s a vanity project with little scientific merit. It won’t be a mammoth it will just be a hairy elephant with little chance of changing the eco system.

Sounds like a white elephant project

“A burdensome or costly possession (from the story that the kings of Siam (now Thailand) were accustomed to make a present of one of these animals to courtiers who had rendered themselves obnoxious, in order to ruin the recipient by the cost of its maintenance). Also, an object, scheme, etc., considered to be without use or value.”
https://www.vaguelyinteresting.co.uk/white-elephants-and-the-king-of-siam/

A perfect description :laugh:

Top Bottom