Prolific chilli crop - what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See if you can make some of this from your harvest... oh my good lord :evil:

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Great input, thanks all. I guess I grew the plant just because I always fancied doing it and the plant was on sale at a local garden centre.

I had thought Bird's Eye, or similar.

Has anybody done a chilli oil? Or herb oil? Assume this will last too?

Nibor

Bewildered
Chilli oil can be done fill a bowl with cut or pricked chillis cover with quality oil cold pressed rapeseed or olive. and heat it for a couple of hours as a bain marie over water very effective method of extracting the flavour.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You have to ensure everything is squeaky clean if you make chilli infused oil otherwise you end up with mouldy chillies in some possibly harmful oil. But yes those chillies are perfect for it, there's lots of good guidance online to keep you safe and get a good oil.
I'd do either that, or a small quantity of dried chilli flakes. You don't have enough bulk for anything else unfortunately.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wondered if I might harvest the remaining tomatoes we have (quite a few, many green, some turning, a few ripe) and then make some kind of red and green tomato and chilli preserve/jam/ketchup kind of thing - something I could use as a condiment to add spice to my own plate. Some onion, garlic, spices, sugar, I have vinegar of various types - a kind of end-of-season store cupboard preserve.

johnblack

Über Member
I wondered if I might harvest the remaining tomatoes we have (quite a few, many green, some turning, a few ripe) and then make some kind of red and green tomato and chilli preserve/jam/ketchup kind of thing - something I could use as a condiment to add spice to my own plate. Some onion, garlic, spices, sugar, I have vinegar of various types - a kind of end-of-season store cupboard preserve.
I did a large crop of tomato and red pepper sauce, just roasted it all in the oven with some onion, garlic, chilli and olive olive oil. Transferred to a pan and left to simmer for a while, strained the hell out of it and froze it all for pasta sauce. Might not get rid of that many chillis but great way of getting rid of the tomatoes.

cambsno

They look like fairly standard chillis, the type of plant Waitrose often sells.

I just take mine off the plant and leave around the kitchen - they soon dry out and when dry you can put them in a container, still using some from years ago.

Make chilli jam. It's great on cheese on toast, or on salmon. Recipe must be on the interweb somewhere, as Mrs Salad found it and made some when we were gifted a load of chilli's.

Top Bottom