prone bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

enas

Über Member
I don't know if this has come up before. But I just discovered this. If you think recumbents look weird(*), then you might need to reconsider your definition of weirdness. Have a look at the H-Zontal:

(*) I always dreamt of riding a recumbent. But I always feared that they do look weird, and I would feel a bit too self-conscious about it. I am now cured: there is a way to look much more stupid than on a recumbent :smile:

'Its future depends on you!' Surely it ought to be the other way around.

Looks fun for a (very) short time, until you develop chronic neck ache.

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
Looks fun for a (very) short time, until you develop chronic neck ache.

You don't get it: he's using these goggles with mirrors that allow him to bend his head while still being able to see the road ahead (from 1:19). If your French is up to scratch, he's explaining it here:

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
Ok, thanks for the clarification, although I would guess it would seriously restrict his peripheral vision.

Come on, how can you be so skeptical. That's pure genius I tell you! (The saddle design is fantastic too...)

starhawk

Come on, how can you be so skeptical. That's pure genius I tell you! (The saddle design is fantastic too...)
That's no genius to me, and the saddle design is hair-rising, doesn't he have any family jewels? The very idea of riding belly down is not at all tempting. Wonder how his arms feel after a while, there is nothing much else which hold him against the pedals. And riding with the aid of mirrors is not very natural

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
That's no genius to me, and the saddle design is hair-rising, doesn't he have any family jewels?
I think there's sarcasm in the air (just a bit really). But in fairness, you can raise the exact same criticism for upright bikes. Imagine what the reaction of anyone seeing an upright bike for the first time would be if they didn't already exist for so long...
The very idea of riding belly down is not at all tempting.
How about feeling like a cheetah?
Wonder how his arms feel after a while, there is nothing much else which hold him against the pedals. And riding with the aid of mirrors is not very natural
This guy is actually serious about his stuff. There's a FAQ (in broken English) on his website, and also some explanations here about how the body is supported. It's really funny to read his website (riggsbie quote keeps coming in my mind), he seems to put some faith in his concept (he's looking for investors).

starhawk

enas said:
I think there's sarcasm in the air (just a bit really). But in fairness, you can raise the exact same criticism for upright bikes. Imagine what the reaction of anyone seeing an upright bike for the first time would be if they didn't already exist for so long...

Well on an upright you don't have a saddle which stretches from your ass to your belly!

enas said:
How about feeling like a cheetah?

I read on the link, but he misses the point! It is natural for a cheetah to move on all four with his head at the front, but a human has evolved to move on two legs with his head on the top, so what is natural for a cheetah isn't neccesarily natural for a human

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Chances of Obree rocking up to WHPSC in this position? Watch him mime the riding position at the one minute twenty mark, and tell me you don't think he's on his front?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
He's building a prone bike. Interview on road.cc, quote:
"So I have stepped back and said to myself ‘what are my maximum possibilities?’ I have ridden about on a ‘prone’ recumbent bike (i.e lying on your stomach) in the 90s. In fact I specifically targeted it, because it really simply feels more powerful because you are pedaling behind you, and you have the width of your shoulders in front of you, and you staring straight on – forget science – it feels stronger."

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
He's building a prone bike. Interview on road.cc, quote:
"So I have stepped back and said to myself ‘what are my maximum possibilities?’ I have ridden about on a ‘prone’ recumbent bike (i.e lying on your stomach) in the 90s. In fact I specifically targeted it, because it really simply feels more powerful because you are pedaling behind you, and you have the width of your shoulders in front of you, and you staring straight on – forget science – it feels stronger."

Good find Stu. Well, this could change all kind of things.

Top Bottom