Proofide or similar for San Marco Rolls?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I will shortly be getting a Hewitt Cheviot SE (see my other recent posts...), this comes with a San Marco Rolls saddle as standard, which I will probably retain. As this is made of leather, does this:

a) Need protecting from the rain?

:biggrin: Need regular application of leather treatment, such as the "Proofide" used with Brooks saddles?

Thanks

a) Yes.
:biggrin: Can't do any harm.
But why would you want anything other than a Brooks?
(prepares to duck)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's not made of leather - it's made of plastic covered with a very thin layer of leatherettish sort of stuff which might once have covered a cow. I had one for a while and it was absolute murder. Chuck it away as quickly as you can and put on a proper leather saddle.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
srw said:
It's not made of leather - it's made of plastic covered with a very thin layer of leatherettish sort of stuff which might once have covered a cow. I had one for a while and it was absolute murder. Chuck it away as quickly as you can and put on a proper leather saddle.

Well, I haven't fully specified the bike yet, so I could potentially specify it with a Brooks B17, a sprung B72 or possibly even the Imperial, which has a cut out "comfort slot", but am unsure whether I will get on with a Brooks-style saddle or not, as these people either seem to love or loath these... Which would be best for a tourer?

Not counting wars, Brooks first started making the B17 in the 1890s, and it hasn't changed in all that time. :biggrin:
It's perfect, probably one of the few designs that is unimprovable. Seriously, no-one would put up with all of their disadvantages if there was really something better, even though the cycling press tells us they're old hat every couple of years.
But they're not for everyone. Some people love the Rolls, and Specialized's body geometry is also a good one to try.
But never accept someone else's advice on a saddle, buy a few and see what works best. We know a lot about bikes, but nothing about your @r$e.
B17 wide is a good bet. And if you don't get on with it, send it to me and I'll swap it for another saddle of a similar value.

Percy

I did 8000+ miles on a San Marco Rolls in 2007 (on my Cheviot SE). Never had any problems with comfort - it was fine to sit on from day one and I didn't get any nasty sores for the whole trip. I never considered weather proofing it and wouldn't say it needed it - they are probably very slightly porous if left out in very heavy rain (which mine was on a number of occasions), but only minimally so and not to an extent that it ever caused me to think it was a problem or even notice it very much - if it was pouring with rain chances are I was soaked or about to get soaked anyway so it didn't matter! I don't think the material lends itself to 'proofing' anyway - what would be the point?

I considered the Brooks option when I first got the bike but never really saw the point when there was a perfectly decent saddle already on it.

P.H

Über Member
The Rolls is a cheap enough saddle anyway, £25ish, you might as well try it. I didn't get on with mine, sold it easily enough on a forum for £15. So cost a tenner to try it, well worth it.

amrushton

chris667 said:
Not counting wars, Brooks first started making the B17 in the 1890s, and it hasn't changed in all that time. :evil:
It's perfect, probably one of the few designs that is unimprovable. Seriously, no-one would put up with all of their disadvantages if there was really something better, even though the cycling press tells us they're old hat every couple of years.
But they're not for everyone. Some people love the Rolls, and Specialized's body geometry is also a good one to try.
But never accept someone else's advice on a saddle, buy a few and see what works best. We know a lot about bikes, but nothing about your @r$e.
B17 wide is a good bet. And if you don't get on with it, send it to me and I'll swap it for another saddle of a similar value.

Selle Anatomica improved it with their Titanico. Instant comfort, better tensioner,water resistant laminate

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
amrushton said:
Selle Anatomica improved it with their Titanico. Instant comfort, better tensioner,water resistant laminate

I've read about that (here: http://www.selleanatomica.com/ ) and it does sound good in concept, though I've read a few user reports and not everyone has been happy with it (some commented that the cutout "grabbed" at their nether regions, which sounds alarming! I guess the Brooks Imperial may have the same problem...). Also it would be very expensive for me to buy - there doesn't seem to be a UK distributor, buying it direct would costs $179.98 + $24.98 shipping + possibly VAT if unlucky transit through customs... So at least £140 at current exchange rates!

amrushton said:
Time will tell, but I can't help thinking Brooks could have done all these things and chose not to.
Best thing to do is wait 10 years, and see which one is still in production.

mds101

I just looked at the Selle Anatomica site and saw 25 dolars. Bargain thought I, I'll give one of them a go for sure. Then I noticed that was just shipping....I scrolled down and saw the actual price!

I've done quite a few miles on a Rolls. I am sure there are better, but I see no reason to change it. Comfy enough and doesn't seem to mind getting wet. I don't put anything on it.
They are cheap enough though so if it was me I'd get one, if it doesn't suit, get something else and have a spare.

i had them on all my bikes for years and never treated them(i cover them with a poly bag if it's raining when i go in a cafe). never had any problems on rides of up to 300 miles.

Top Bottom