proper kids XC/downhill mtn bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Re Laggan:

There's an uplift service at weekends to the top of the blue route - a well laid course that goes downhill, without being a full on downhill course - unless you want it to be by jumping everything !

W A R N I N G ! ! !

There is some nice kit in the shop, and you will be under no pressure at all to buy. As a result of this, you will feel the urge to hand over your credit card and spend LOT'S of money on shiny bike bits....

OP
OP
C

Crackle

SteppinRazor said:
Have a look as Isla Bikes. XC,not DH - two very different types of bike

I did at an event - full range. I like 'em but for off-road stuff the geometry is all wrong. Youngests Beinn 20 is one of the best kids bikes I've seen but anything other than rough forest tracks and it's really out of it's depth. I got my oldest to ride the 24 at the event and it's just not right for what he wants to do. Ideally I'd buy him two bikes but that's not a realisitic option.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

MichaelM said:
Re Laggan:

There's an uplift service at weekends to the top of the blue route - a well laid course that goes downhill, without being a full on downhill course - unless you want it to be by jumping everything !

W A R N I N G ! ! !

There is some nice kit in the shop, and you will be under no pressure at all to buy. As a result of this, you will feel the urge to hand over your credit card and spend LOT'S of money on shiny bike bits....

I looked at the website and it looks good. I did have a leaflet about it but I hadn't taken a proper look and hadn't spotted the uplift option at all.

It's only a couple of hours from me so it looks like a good weekend day out. Weather's not too promising this weekend, see what next is like. Also have to decide what to do with the youngest (8) as I'm not sure his Isla is up to the route. Might ride it first and see.

Bike shop and a cafe: Better not take the wife then, she has a much weaker spending will than me! I know, unusual but there you go.

MichaelM

Guru
Crackle said:
Also have to decide what to do with the youngest (8) as I'm not sure his Isla is up to the route. Might ride it first and see.

Take him as well.

There was a guy doing the blue the other week with a kid's seat on the back -with kid in it. It's cleverly designed and keeps the "core" bikers happy but can be rolled by anyone who doesn't (can't-like me) jump.

Also, all the guys on big bikes take the uplift - they whizz off and the less aggressive riders follow on behind.

MichaelM

Guru
Crackle said:
Also have to decide what to do with the youngest (8) as I'm not sure his Isla is up to the route. Might ride it first and see.

Take him as well.

There was a guy doing the blue the other week with a kid's seat on the back -with kid in it. It's cleverly designed and keeps the "core" bikers happy but can be rolled by anyone who doesn't (can't-like me) jump.

Also, all the guys on big bikes take the uplift - they whizz off and the less aggressive riders follow on behind.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ah well! All ideas temporarily suspended. This weekend was the first chance I got to try him on a 24" wheel bike. Although he can ride it he can't do anything on it, which rather defeats the object. So for now it's make do for a couple more years 'till he grows more. I might even have to bite the bullet and buy him another 20" wheel bike as he's nearly killed this one.

MichaelM, went to Laggan Wolftrax, not riding though as the weather was bad and No.1 son had twisted his knee on a trampoline. The guy there might have a 20" ex-hire Kona to sell me. He's going to check and ring me but I might well go back before then on a nice day, with the bikes. So thanks for that.

Top Bottom