Propping the bike for a photo in the wild...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I've come across a recurring problem and finally resolved to have a go at finding a solution. Namely, how to prop the bike up for a mid-ride photo.

This photo sums the problem up perfectly:

Drink as prop.jpg

Vintage bike (Bianchi X4) on a concrete road on a windy day, propped solely by a bottle of Tesco isotonic drink - a disaster waiting to happen. Other solutions include twigs, bidons, helmets, rocks and whatever-else-happens-to-be-within-reach. Any one of them leaves the Pride and Joy precariously balancing while you jump away and take a photo before the wind catches it and over she goes. Plus, it just looks a bit crap. I wanted something that would fit in a pocket or under a saddlepack so could be taken on a ride and that would be 'presentable' enough to not need any editing out.

Blimey, I feel like one of our GCSE Design Technology visitors with their Year 12 surveys!

Anyway, that set me thinking, then sketching, then a brainwave from Mrs Spesh then off to the shed!

Prop.jpg

10mm clear PETG and, hopefully next week a 15mm clear rod to match (but for now a similar piece of ali will do). The rod slides through a slightly oversized hole which means the angle and therefore overall height can be changed. It's a bit of a dodgy prototype with some over-zealous flame polishing by yours truly, but next week I'll get one of the lads in our workshop to CNC and polish one properly.

The end result with no Photoshop other than to zoom and crop the second image:

Prop in use.jpg
Prop close-up.jpg

I know the real fun is to go out and ride and enjoy the smiles more than the miles and I might have found a solution to a non-existent problem, but it was a fun couple of hours!

Next challenge, of course, is how to line up the DT shifters 'at rest' while maintaining 'Biggie Smalls'! ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And I thought that was what gates are for :laugh:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Vintage bike (Bianchi X4) on a concrete road on a windy day, propped solely by a bottle of Tesco isotonic drink - a disaster waiting to happen. Other solutions include twigs, bidons, helmets, rocks and whatever-else-happens-to-be-within-reach. Any one of them leaves the Pride and Joy precariously balancing while you jump away and take a photo before the wind catches it and over she goes.
I know exactly what you mean there - not good. These days, I try to picture the bike on soft ground, such as this photo today when it was well breezy - less damage & scapes if it'll fall. A decent stick driven into the ground at an angle, and resting the bike at an angle too, has worked ok so far... but I think your solution is more elegant & fitting for that exquisite Italian racing bicycle:smile:

OP
OP
Specialeyes
I know exactly what you mean there - not good. These days, I try to picture the bike on soft ground, such as this photo today when it was well breezy - less damage & scapes if it'll fall. A decent stick driven into the ground at an angle, and resting the bike at an angle too, has worked ok so far...

That's a lovely photo - and no indication of how blustery it was everywhere today!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
What you need is a pair of mates - one to hold the bike upright just before the shot, and one to catch it.

OP
OP
Specialeyes
Actually, the one with the red bar tape (Folgorissima) still has the red bar tape :blush: - and stop calling me Shirley!
I'm in 2 minds about that sew-up Almarc leather; they seem a bit... [tries to think of suitable adjective]... tarty?

OP
OP
Specialeyes
What you need is a pair of mates - one to hold the bike upright just before the shot, and one to catch it.

I know there are folks who take their photos exactly that way:

1593979519006.png

I was trying to come up with something suited to solo rides (which are often on the more photogenic bikes - hence posting in the C&V forum:whistle:)

I don't like the idea of putting a bike in the back of the car and driving somewhere photogenic to take a photo (if I'm selling one on eBay or something), I'd much rather ride there. The Bianchi-leaning-on-Tesco-drink shot was on a ride where I carried everything in my jersey and a musette - which I don't normally do. (Dunno how @BalkanExpress manages it!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom