Pros and protein

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I agree with you @Martinsnos - In my experience it can be tough to get the right amount of protein even in a balanced diet without taking on too many calories.

I went through a similar exercise to you and do supplement with protein powder (but still consume less than the recommended amount of protein for my bodyweight) and the benefit to recovery is the most noticeable thing. I didn't notice any direct improvement in performance (i.e not like my FTP improved after a month), but I feel that I do recover quicker/easier when consuming more protein.

I suppose that means I could train more and see indirect gains from the protein in take that way, but I don't bother. :laugh:

Very interesting to hear and thank you for explaining.
On top of what has been said so far, my mate did quite a lot of reading about age-related muscle loss and high protein intake is recommended to keep this to the minimum possible.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Research suggests protein supplements for recovery has been hugely overrated. There is enough protein for most of us in a sensible balanced diet and recovery is probably all about replenishing glycogen stores and that’s carbs!- lucky us! 😁

I agree with you @Martinsnos - In my experience it can be tough to get the right amount of protein even in a balanced diet without taking on too many calories.

Rather than tough I'd say it's borderline impossible. When I was doing powerlifting I was trying to lose weight and increase strength at the same time and my diet, recommended and planned by a sport nutritionist experienced in strength athletes was everything but balanced :laugh:
Steaks and/or porridge with protein powder at 11pm to make sure I'd hit my macros and even more importantly to make sure my muscles would recover for the next training session was only one of the weird things I had to do.

I went through a similar exercise to you and do supplement with protein powder (but still consume less than the recommended amount of protein for my bodyweight) and the benefit to recovery is the most noticeable thing. I didn't notice any direct improvement in performance (i.e not like my FTP improved after a month), but I feel that I do recover quicker/easier when consuming more protein.
Same for me. I supplement with protein powder and the main benefit I've noticed is the quicker recovery. Also, for me it HAS to be protein powder as eating more meat makes me feel like crap when I'm out on the bike.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Rather than tough I'd say it's borderline impossible. When I was doing powerlifting I was trying to lose weight and increase strength at the same time and my diet, recommended and planned by a sport nutritionist experienced in strength athletes was everything but balanced :laugh:
Steaks and/or porridge with protein powder at 11pm to make sure I'd hit my macros and even more importantly to make sure my muscles would recover for the next training session was only one of the weird things I had to do.

Same for me. I supplement with protein powder and the main benefit I've noticed is the quicker recovery. Also, for me it HAS to be protein powder as eating more meat makes me feel like crap when I'm out on the bike.

Totally with you on the meat. I find the powder very palatable.
I’m aware of false research to boost sales, so I’m keeping an eye on my weight but…if I get some protein ‘artificially’ and with less fat/strain in my digestive system, then it can’t be a bad thing.
Also, on your recovery point. I ‘believe’ that I’m managing slightly more reps in a session and that may well be down to being more recovered.
(just in case this applies to you, I had something akin to [or indeed] irritable bowel syndrome and I’ve started taking fibre and without exaggeration, it has transformed my life [same for vitamin D during the winter]).
If I get evidence against any of these things I am happy to stop but equally if they appear to be helping (even if placebo effect) happy to keep on going.

Thanks for your post, as you may have guessed I find this whole area very interesting.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Research suggests protein supplements for recovery has been hugely overrated. There is enough protein for most of us in a sensible balanced diet and recovery is probably all about replenishing glycogen stores and that’s carbs!- lucky us! 😁

My own experience is suggesting differently but we are all different - and I have lots of shares in protein companies (not really!).

bobinski

Legendary Member
My own experience is suggesting differently but we are all different - and I have lots of shares in protein companies (not really!).

For sure we are all different. I find it difficult to say what it is I am responding to. There are too many variables, sleep, rest, stress etc. As an older guy at 58y I have tried the protein drink post ride. I thought it worked but that was always in the context of a training program, however vague ( :smile:) and so gains and soreness etc difficult to assess. What i was aware of was fatigue. I am not saying protein was the cause of the fatigue. Recently, after watching a Dylan Johnson video on energy replensishment and recovery i decided to ditch the protein and just replenish with a carb drink, recognising i get enough protein in my diet (which is key ) It seems to be working for me. Would extra protein help? No idea, but given improving numbers, and weight loss despite the extra carbs, are going in the right direction i will see how it goes. I am not adverse to an occasional large glass of chocolate milk post ride for the carbs and protein but, knowing my diet is ok, i 'll avoid routine post ride protein supplements.

I wish i did have shares in protein companies!

BurningLegs

Veteran
The other thing to remember when it comes to this is that a placebo effect is still an effect. So whether any improved benefit is measurable or comes out in any numbers is surely immaterial to us as amateurs, and if it makes you feel better (even through a placebo effect) then to me it seems worthwhile. :smile:

Top Bottom