Protein Shakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

navrat_biker

How protein shakes help us road riders?

Well as you probably already know protein helps our muscles to not only develop strong and lean but also one of the most important stages for us is recovery. After a long ride your muscles (like mine do) scream out for replacement minerals, hydration and protein sources. Now if your body doesn't have a sufficient amount of protein in your system then the body will use the muscles as protein. This is especially the case during the night when your muscles are developing/repairing from the days training. It is therefore vital that we consume a sufficient amount of protein and protein shakes are ideal for this.

Why?

Well they are tailored to this type of conditioning. I always consume protein after training as a protein shake intake and if your thinking well surely this will add weight/mass. wrong? the difference you will see is strength of muscle and a leaner physique over time. I am 5ft 10 and have a waist to thigh ratio of 81.5%

So whats the best Protein for us riders?

A good quality Whey Protein (for more info see this article)

By in taking a protein shake into your training you will see huge benefits and reduction in recovery. As a result of stronger/conditioned muscle your speed and strength will increase and you will wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

Any help/advice just get in touch :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
To be honest for most of us mere mortals Choco-milk or a regular Nesquick style milkshake will provide us with more than enough 'recovery' nutriment. Milk alone has been found to be one of the best re-hydrating products. If you think aout what nmilk is designed for... growth, then it seems pretty sensible.

To jump in with both feet on the Whey protein debate... as said correctly, the whey protein will become denatured by processing which may affect the rate at which it is broken down to smaller peptides. I don't know if denaturing speeds-up the breakdown of whey proteins in the gut. What I do know is that if you hydrolyse whey protein (pre-digest by acid or enzyme) into shorter peptides it does get absorbed by the body more quickly. The problem with shorter chain whey protein fragments is that the taste bloody awful (bitter).

http://www.dsm.com/le/en_US/peptopro/html/home_peptopro.htm

Top Bottom