Prototype 20" Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Yebbut Nobut Yebbut. If the train is not packed and it's not bothering anyone...though I realise that the term "empty London commuter train" is probably an oxymoron. How would you know before you got on even if it was your regular journey? Since to me Londoners seem to be an angry lot it would make sense to have it folded ready to get on, to avoid confrontation.

Perhaps a) it's not a London train
b) it's staged
c) something else.

Time for some CSI style sleuthing. I'll start with the fact that the floor seems to be carpeted. Does anyone recognise the building visible through the window 🤔

tinywheels

Über Member
Time for some CSI style sleuthing. I'll start with the fact that the floor seems to be carpeted. Does anyone recognise the building visible through the window 🤔

don't look like any of the trains I come in on.
possibly too clean for a commute into town.
over to the sleuthing fraternity, I say its not a London commute.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
View attachment 683598

I hope this photo has been staged because this is one of the most annoying things that I see regularly on my commute into London. Idiots with folding bikes taking up 3 seats when they could take up none by taking 30 seconds to fold a bike that is designed to be folded.
Idiots.

Thanks. Idiocy is in my genes.

For those who like a litte pictorial context, it was a London Liverpool St train to Cambridge, off-peak, and perhaps around 10% full.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have it on good authority that the 20" Brompton will be available next year, all being well.

I do hope so. I will be moving next year which will involve another train/bike commute.
Seeing as I really didn't like the 16" wheel Brompton for various reasons. I hope a 20" will be much better.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The electric brompton was promised "next year" "on good authority" for about 6 years....

I can exclusively confirm there will be a special edition Brompton next year, that doesnt vary much from standard, but with a pretty* paint job at a silly price premium, but it will be exclusive....

*not guaranteed, it could look quite shoot, depending on who is collaborating on it. It might be a strictly come cycling version with sequins.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The electric brompton was promised "next year" "on good authority" for about 6 years....
I'd say you are badly misinformed. The Electric was first announced on the Brompton homepage in April 2011 as "Project X" with the following words:

We're working on something special. It doesn't have a name yet but it promises to be BIG. Sign up here to get special updates.

And in September 2011 the following Mail was sent:

...We are now in a position where we are happy to reveal to you a project we have been working on for the past six years.
Project X is the code name for the eBrompton. (...) Initially, the eBrompton will be made in a limited run and restricted to two territories in 2012: the UK and Germany. ...

As we all know today it took "a bit" longer to bring the Brompton Electric to the market for various reasons and it finally hit the shops somwhere between summer 2018 and autumn 2019.
I can exclusively confirm there will be a special edition Brompton next year, that doesnt vary much from standard, but with a pretty* paint job at a silly price premium, but it will be exclusive....
Could you name one of those special editions? While I am aware of most of Brompton's special editions I do no know a single one where
a silly price premium
has been charged. In fact, if you substract the extra bits like bags or special saddles from the price the do sell for exactly the same price as normal Brompton and this has been outlined countless times in this very forum. Still some people ignore the obvious facts and continue to claim Brompton would charge a premium for a paint job. So maybe I am missing something and thus would be thankful if you could name one of these special editions you are talking about.
What you claim seems to me rather an "alternative facts" scenario, willingly and knowingly ignoring reality for a cheap diss of Bromton and for getting a bit of fame on the forum.

Other than that you seem to have missed the fact that Brompton themselves did not announce a 20" version. All we know is one picture of an obvious prototype of such a bike and that Will Butler Adams has announced a "revolutionary new product" for when they have the factory in Kent. Which they clearly will not have in 2024.

So the single claim that a 20" would be available in 2024 comes from @Origamist - I have no idea how trustworthy his sources are but either way whatever they say cannot be quoted as an official statement from Brompton and thus clearly not as an official product announcement or delivery promise as you seem to take it.

Also you could be aware of the T-line which did hit the marked w/o any pre-announcements and also w/o any information from secret internal sources and same was true for the P-line. So it seems you do have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Brompton product introductions and only take into account things that you consider to support your negative view at the company, ignoring all other bits and you don't even care if your negative statements are factual or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I would be surprised if the 20" be offered as early as next year.

I know the new model name as well, but was sworn to secrecy after a pinky swear^_^

Will the new 20" model be released next year, that I don't know for sure, but that is the plan. But you know what they say about plans...We might just get an announcement.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I didn't realise humour had to factually accurate.😘

however on reading @berlinonaut actual facts above I think i was actually correct. E project announced in 2011 for 2012 launch that happened in 2018.

1697614683367.png

£480 premium for the Grilled Bear C-line explore, the backpack costs £180?

BTW - I'm not joking now, I always read @berlinonaut 's posts if i want to know the facts, arguably the most informed Bromptoner on here, but i wouldn't ask him to write a best mans speech.

Top Bottom