Provisional dates for rides with ColinJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here are some dates to scribble in your 2015 diaries if you fancy joining me and some of The Usual Suspects for forum rides, audax rides, and maybe a sportive or two!

I want to give you plenty of notice because I know dates get booked up well in advance, but I don't want to start multiple ride threads too far in advance of these dates.

Saturday, 28th March - a rerun of last year's very popular Trough of Bowland, Glasson Dock ride. ~100km. Start/Finish - Whalley.

Sunday, 12th April - SITD (Spring Into The Dales), a lovely scenic local audax event which several of us try to do every year.~110 km. Start/Finish - Mytholmroyd.

Sunday, 3rd May - Tour de Yorkshire sportive. One of my Scottish cousins fancies coming down for this event so I might be joining him. He will probably be too quick for me, so I will ride round at casual forum ride pace, assuming that there isn't a faster cut-off speed to aim for. If I do it, join me for the lumpy medium length route? ~108 km. Start/Finish - Roundhay Park, Leeds.

Saturday, 30th May - a spectacular and hilly Forest of Bowland forum ride. I planned it for last year, but it kept getting postponed and never happened. I did ride the route solo, and it is a good 'un. ~100 km. Start/Finish - Whalley.

Saturday, 27th June - a 200 km forum ride in Cheshire. I will pick one of the regular Cheshire audax routes and we can all ride it as a 'permanent' together, at 15-20 kph average speed. Start/Finish - To be decided.

Saturday, 25th July - a scenic and hilly forum ride in the Yorkshire Dales. It might be a rerun of the ride we did about 3 years ago, or I might make up a new route. Probably ~100 km. Start/Finish - Settle?

August and September ... I'll think about nearer the time!

Sunday, 11th October - Season of Mists. Sister audax event to SITD. Very scenic, very strenuous! (HILLS, MANY STEEP!) ~100 km. Start/Finish - Mytholmroyd. [Not 100% sure about this - I think the date and venue seem to have changed. Will have to doublecheck nearer the time.]

So, would anybody fancy joining me for any of these? I will be starting dedicated threads for each of them nearer the time, in chronological order. I'll start the Glasson Dock thread soon.

Last edited:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have just had my bike into the shop got all the cables done and a new chainset and bottom bracket so I am ready for march :thumbsup:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
What about the legs though ... have they also been fettled? :laugh:

I went out last sat for a 37 mile ride over Askwith Moor to the Cockpit Farm Cafe and back and it wasn't too bad, that is the first ride since Nov.

I have been doing quite a lot of walking over winter and also lost some weight, once the ice and snow goes away I will get some more miles in.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Interested in the TdY Sportive and the May Bowland ride.

I can't go to the 28th March one now, I'm away on family holiday. :sad:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
June ride written on calendar.

I may join one or two of those. It would be my first group ride though - is that likely to be a problem or do you welcome beginners?

The Settle one's most likely as I'm about 10Km from Settle. The ones starting in Whalley are also possible, though that does involve cycling nearly 50K over the Forest of Bowland before and after, so might be 'a bit too much', or even 'a lot too much'!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I am out of the first two rides due to the wife booking a holiday in the mountains of the North Philippines on those dates (March & April) so must not grumble I suppose.
Either of the May/June ones are looking promising though.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Entry is in for TdY :smile: 100km
I got mine today in but was too late to get £3 'priority' discount - £47.50!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am only paying that kind of money this once because my cousin is coming all the way from the Highlands of Scotland and it seemed churlish not to join him. (Mind you, he will probably ride away from me on the first hill and I won't see him again until the finish! :laugh:)

I may join one or two of those. It would be my first group ride though - is that likely to be a problem or do you welcome beginners?
All welcome, but obviously when riding fairly close to other riders you do have to be sensible and not do anything to endanger yourself or them! :thumbsup:

(Oi - who's been messing with the thumbsup smiley? :whistle:)

I am out of the first two rides due to the wife booking a holiday in the mountains of the North Philippines on those dates (March & April) so must not grumble I suppose.
Either of the May/June ones are looking promising though.
It's a tough life, but I suppose somebody has to go and support the economy of the Philippines! :laugh: See you later in the year then.)

MikeW-71

Veteran
I got mine today in but was too late to get £3 'priority' discount - £47.50!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am only paying that kind of money this once because my cousin is coming all the way from the Highlands of Scotland and it seemed churlish not to join him. (Mind you, he will probably ride away from me on the first hill and I won't see him again until the finish! :laugh:)
Tis a pricy one, good thing I hardly do any Sportives now :smile: I stuck down 5.5-6hrs to complete as I suspect it will be a bit lumpy and I wanted to be sure :biggrin:

Top Bottom