Prudential 100 Beginner Training - bike suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fleuves

Hi all,

I'm training for the Prudential 100. I can manage about 35 miles at the minute, but need plenty of rest afterwards, lots of work to go! For those of you who have been accepted onto this, great job and best of luck with your training.

I've had a Pendleton Somerby for around 2 years and I take very good care of her, but I'm starting to think now that my miles are starting to add up that this is not the best choice of bike for an endurance cycle.

Can anybody suggest a bike that might be kinder to me - and less than £300?

For reference I am a 5'2" 120lb female. One of my main problems is that I regrettably went for the 19" frame when I should have committed to the 17". It's just too big and too heavy for me.

...does anybody have a 17" Somerby that they'd like to swap for a 19" ? Ha ha!

Thanks in advance!

Emily

Cyclist33

if you could stretch to 400 i heartily recommend the giant escape, either in a small size for the "mens" model or you can get a womens specific one, as my sister is 5'4" and has a medium one, i imagine again you'd suit the small.

it depends on your definition of "kinder to me" really, for some that would mean the lightest fastest road bike to complete the ride as quickly as possible. i suggest the Escape as a good all round option, capable of barrelling along at a lick if you want but also comfy and upright for enjoying the scenery.

the escape 2 would be the 400 quid model and its got better parts than the escape 3.

vickster

Legendary Member
A good alternative would be a specialized vita, there are usually a couple on eBay. Ash cycles often have reduced giant models from previous years and could be worth a look for the escape, the women's model might be called something else?

outlash

also available in orange
My wife has a pendleton and it's a nice bike, but as you point out, not one for racking up the miles on. I can only echo what's been said above and look for something like the Giant, comfy yet relatively light, it'll help you no end.

Tony.

OP
OP
F

Fleuves

Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I'll definitely have a look : )

Have a nice weekend all,

Emily

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - looks good!

I know this is a really stupid question. But do all road bikes have those clip-in pedals that you need special shoes for? Because frankly it terrifies me that I can't just take my feet off the pedals when I need to.
No, the friend I'm doing it with has no intention of clipping in, she'll probably ride in her converse on cheap flat pedals :biggrin:

I find the double sided ones a bit of a pain, they are always the wrong way round for clipping in for me!

If you aren't confident about using them, best not do so for the 100 when there are another 24,000 odd cyclists around, many who will also be I experienced

Top Bottom