Pssst, want to buy a stolen bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I has looking for a new story about a LBS which has been broken into, I did a search on the Edinburgh Evening News and at the top of the page when the search came up were the following sponsored links:

Sponsored Links
See your ad here
1.Stolen bikes Find amazing bargains for Bikes and Bike Accessories. See 100's of Ads! Gumtree.com
2.Stolen Bikes Search for Stolen Bikes Find Stolen bikes www.Ask.com
3.Bicycle Thief at Amazon Low prices on bicycle thief. Free Delivery on Orders over £5 Amazon.co.uk
4.Crime Justice & the Law Search the official UK guide to crime, justice and the law.

If you want to buy a stolen bike the first place to try is Gumtree.com, they have even bought the advertising key words...

This is the news story I was looking for.

Oh and Goo, if you could just return that blue Norco... :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I find bike theft, as with most property theft, very frustrating. It can only exist if there are outlets for converting the goods. the outlets can only exist if there is a market prepared to buy without too many questions. These crimes receive a low priority from our protectors. The manufacturing industry gets a better turnover via replacement goods and the insurance industry gets to 'tax' us for another eventuality.

I'm appalled by the amount of people I've met, and still know, that, while law abiding in every other way, can't resist a no questions asked bargain. Yet, if they become a victim of property theft, seem too stupid to make the connection.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Many years ago when I was a VIth former my Carlton 'ride to school' 10 speed was nicked. I bought it back a week later in my local for less than the price of a pint.
When my Viscount Aerospace (that my Dad worked overtime to buy me) got nicked I repossessed it from the scrote without paying courtesy of the kyokushinkai karate I was learning at the time.

Regretably the bike took against this display of violence and tried to kill me duing a 25 mile TT organised by Crawley Wheelers. Riding over your front wheel and fork as it snaps off has nothing to recommend it whatsoever as I recall. But in point of fact I recall very little about it. I gave up cycling and concentrated on playing Rugby Union as it seemed safer and more suited to my body shape.

(in later life I got caught out by the lack of lawyer tabs on an Pace mtb fork - you'd think I'd have learnt my lesson but no.)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
HJ said:
I has looking for a new story about a LBS which has been broken into, I did a search on the Edinburgh Evening News and at the top of the page when the search came up were the following sponsored links:

If you want to buy a stolen bike the first place to try is Gumtree.com, they have even bought the advertising key words...

This is the news story I was looking for.

Oh and Goo, if you could just return that blue Norco... :biggrin:

Ah - the Leith Bike theft in their new shop. I had to smile when I saw that they'd been having so many bikes stolen from their first shop on Leith Walk; they always have loads of bikes lined up outside on the pavement - right in the middle of ChavLand !! It's almost asking for theft - all it takes is someone to distract the one person in the shop and the accomplices outside can quickly snip the feeble cable lock and help themselves to a few bikes.

OTOH I wish them all the best in the new shop - they're the nearest thing I have to a LBS, though they have nothing like the level of stock that the EBC has and any time I've gone in looking for something I inevitably find they don't stock it. I do try and get new cables and easily available spares there though when I can.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's a real bugbear of mine, and I've bored on here before about it, but it really hacks me off that ebay (and I speak as, generally, a big fan) do absolutely nothing about really really obvious thieves selling stolen bikes. I have corresponded with them about it, but they have been quite explicit: unless you are acting in a professional capacity - ie, you're a cop +/- - they will do nothing, and that's that.

I think it's scandalous.

Jim_Noir

I was on here last night a work, and my workmate said "Is the stolen section bikes for sale?" *sigh*

Top Bottom