Psst...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

... wanna see some down & dirty girl on girl action?
Well look no further :biggrin:

AnodeCathode200708007.jpg

AnodeCathode200708003.jpg

AnodeCathode200708002.jpg

They had an absolute wonderful time scratching out a dust bath in a patch of fine soil and having a good roll about, kicking up a storm.

Melvil

Hot chicks!

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Heh. It's scenes like these ones that bring a particularly warm smile to me. Considering that 19 April this year was the first time in their just over a year-long life that they'd ever seen daylight, and at that time they were minus many feathers, frightened, unable to walk properly... and look at them now, *proper hens* doing the things hens are supposed to do, and they really do enjoy it.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

I'd like another two, but not yet. Once I get the enclosed run area extended, then I'd like another couple of ex-batts to introduce. The current two Laydeez have provided 137 eggs since 19 April, and they don't hang around, as they are *delicious* but I would like to have another two hens that way I could give more to my lovely neighbours Bill & Val in return for all the lovely veggies Bill gives me. But I don't want any more than four hens, as I want to be able to look after them *properly* and although hens are incredibly easy to look after, I like to particularly 'indulge' my ex-batts, as they had such a shi**y start in life and it is increedibly rewarding to see them blossom, develop proper hen behaviours that they just can't in a battery cage, and enjoy what is pretty much an idyllic life for a hen, however long or short the rest of their lives happens to be.

Good for you Waffly. I live in a rented house right now but will buy before long, and when I have my own garden I'd really like to home a couple of ex-batteries. They really do deserve a good "retirement" and, as a keen cook, the eggs would get used up.

However I may have trouble convincing Mr Hamster, who is convinced that all chickens attract rats for some reason?

Keith Oates

Janner
When I was a boy my parents used to keep some chickens in a run at the top of the garden, they did used to have the odd rat every so often but usually my Dad set traps and caught them fairly quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Intelligenthamster said:
Good for you Waffly. I live in a rented house right now but will buy before long, and when I have my own garden I'd really like to home a couple of ex-batteries. They really do deserve a good "retirement" and, as a keen cook, the eggs would get used up.

However I may have trouble convincing Mr Hamster, who is convinced that all chickens attract rats for some reason?

Chickens don't attract rats: bad husbandry does. You simply need to think ahead, keep food stored in such a way rodents can't get to it, keep hen house & run clean and don't leave food out at night.

My two: every morning I remove the overnight droppings from the hen house and have a shufty through the bedding to check I haven't missed anything, keeping an eye open for signs of pests & predators. I also sweep out the run of hen droppings & spilt food at least once a day, more in hot weather. So far, no signs of rats. And I live in the countryside where there are rodents about, so I am pleasantly surprised that I've not seen any signs of rats as there are plenty in the fields as I witness from the number seen out and about in the verges of the lanes whwn cycling or driving.. Of course, having three felines about helps deter rodents too. Should I see signs of rats, traps will be set. But seriously - keeping the hens & housing clean & tidy takes less than five minutes a day and then the big weekend clean takes less than half-an-hour. I know of folk who say they only clean the henhouse & run once a week - some once a month - all I can say is no wonder rats turn up if that's the level of 'cleanliness' they give their poultry!

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

All the waste from the hens goes straight on the compost heap, along with other garden & veg waste. I should be brewing a fine compost in my two big compost bins. The eggshells get baked, crushed and fed back to the girls to help them keep their calcium levels up.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I knew someone who was so keen to rehouse ex-battery hens that he took n far too many, and had to start keeping them cooped up in cages, for lack of space! I didn't really. Must be the Stella playing tricks with my imagination!

Top Bottom