Puch bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swifty

Über Member
After being told it was a peugeot managed to have a closer look today and I am pretty sure it's a puch bike fitted with dia compe centre pull brakes suntour vx derailleur sr cranks mixed in with shimano handle bar gear shifters and weinmann dia compe suicide levers shimano thunderbird front derailleur would really like a bit of help trying to date this so far I have found a72 stamp on the top of the head stem but that's all it's a very strange looking dirty chrome colour haven't got it home yet so pics to follow bit rusty but not too bad

midlife

Guru
72 is likely the head tube angle in degrees......... Pics would help :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Would like help with this pics as soon as it arrives need help with possible model haven't seen one of these before are they any good? Some people saying that suntour are ok did they have some sort of deal with shimano?

midlife

Guru
We sold Steyr-Daimler-Puch / Austro-Daimler-Puch bikes back in the 70's. We stocked them for people on a low budget and boy were they ropey.

Having said that they did a range of "Proper" bikes :smile:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/810859-ok-people-here-my-puch-mistral-ultima-pics.html

IMG_6516.jpg

And the Austro Daimler mob did the Vent Noir and others...

av+006.jpg

Could be quite good (fingers crossed)

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Have been looking to try to find the model of this bike can't find any catalogues on net to help only certain models used the diacompe brakes and can't find one that had a suntour vx derailleur does anybody have one or are they that bad

You have to remember that mechs and brakes do get damaged and/or wear out. So this could simply have had parts replaced as required.

The bike looks in great condition so it's clearly been cared for. Perhaps the current rear mech and brakes were an upgrade from the original?

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Various dates on the parts on the bike ranging from 77 to 79 some questions for you all can I use a different front derailleur from the rear also one of the wheels is pretty rusty and it's fitted with a suntour perfect freewheel could I get that fitted onto another wheel I have decided to keep this bike because I like the look of it so am currently stripping the frame down

midlife

Guru
Yep, no problem using front / rear mechs from different manufacturers.

I would personally get a new freewheel / chain rather than swap an old freewheel over................old block plus new or different chain= nightmare !

Any more pics?

Shaun

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Will post some pics tomorrow still not sure what model it is can't find serial number or any thing but it will be a nice bike when it's done still pretty sure it's a puch

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I had a Prima 12 in the late 70's. I think I got it in 1977 for 21st birthday. It had Shimano Tourney gears. Rear derailleur like this
$_57.JPG

and these shifters
938080D4-B3F2-4AEB-9FEC-0F4BC24158D9.jpe
My brother destroyed derailleur and took 1/2 doz. rear spokes out when he borrowed it without me knowing.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
This one has a suntour vx gt derailleur it looks really good with shimano shifters mounted on bars dia compe brakes chrome wheels it's never going to be worth a lot but I like it

Top Bottom