Puch Free Spirit 10 speed: floating crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
I have a Puch Free Spirit 10 speed racer and one of the first jobs I did was to try and sort the crank because it seemed to have lots of free play. Got new bearings, fitted them and guess what? No flipping difference!
Now, my neighbour (who knows lots more about bike repairs than I do, which isn't difficult!) reckons it's supposed to be like that as it's a 'floating crank'. This just doesn't seem right to me because the sideways movement would surely mean that once a chain is fitted, the movement of the chain ring would cause it to come off, or at the very least run wonky? There is some up/down movement but not a huge amount by the way.
There were a few bits missing from the bike when I got it so this is definitely going to be my fixie project, if nothing else just for a cop out as it (should) be easy to do.
So, can anyone confirm or deny this 'floating crank' business, will it run fine when chain attached or am I missing something obvious such as a knackered crank?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
never heard of it before

John Spencer

I have a Puch Free Spirit 10 speed racer and one of the first jobs I did was to try and sort the crank because it seemed to have lots of free play. Got new bearings, fitted them and guess what? No flipping difference!
Now, my neighbour (who knows lots more about bike repairs than I do, which isn't difficult!) reckons it's supposed to be like that as it's a 'floating crank'. This just doesn't seem right to me because the sideways movement would surely mean that once a chain is fitted, the movement of the chain ring would cause it to come off, or at the very least run wonky? There is some up/down movement but not a huge amount by the way.
There were a few bits missing from the bike when I got it so this is definitely going to be my fixie project, if nothing else just for a cop out as it (should) be easy to do.
So, can anyone confirm or deny this 'floating crank' business, will it run fine when chain attached or am I missing something obvious such as a knackered crank?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I've had one of these for 34 years, I've never had any free play in the crank. I like to keep it clean and the chrome shiny and it's much admired. Its a great ride, I use it on roads, canal paths and tracks when they're dry. It's a bit heavy, but I've just ( after 34 years and as I'm getting on a bit now) replaced some of the original bits ( alloy wheels, handlebars. seat post, original suede leather seat, and pedals) and reduced the weight from about 15kg to about 10 kg.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Google the patent , and, as with all US patents, it will give you exhaustive and exhausting information on the nature of this crank modification. It all looks quite complicated and fussy for use on a bicycle. Reasons for the patent, differences between the proposed and existing technology, and proposed benefits are discussed, as well as the minutiae of engineering considerations.

Top Bottom