Pump Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I just got a ToPeak Saddle bag (medium).

Unfortunately the hand pump I have, doesn't fit in this bag.

The pump is only 25cm, so I thought the bag would fit it in.

Do cyclists have really small pumps in their saddle bags or just C02 cannisters?

Another option is mounting the pump on my frame.

As I am a beginner, wanted to know what more experienced road bike users do.

Advice appreciated

Attachments

• 20200420_124305.jpg
    20200420_124305.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3
D

Deleted member 26715

I have the same pump mounted on my downtube

vickster

Legendary Member
Put pump on frame or carry in rack bag/pannier

Many roadies just stick in their back pocket (not something I'd ever do though due to discomfort thanks to a large scar from an old spinal op)

It really doesn't matter what others do, just choose what you prefer! There are NO rules (other than obeying the laws of the land of course)

Practice using the pump at home (let all air out of tube) so if you do need to use it in the dark, and freezing cold, you know how to use it and that it works well enough to get enough air in the tube to ride (similarly, practice changing a tube at home if you're new to cycling). Brand new bike / tyres, again check you can refit them easily as some can be an utter bitch to get on and off the rims

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have a really small 20cm Giyo GP-61S telescoping pump with gauge always in my bar bag, plus often a 30cm Giyo mini-floor pump with gauge in my saddlebag (a long-flap or a bikepacking one, not a giant testicle one) or trunk bag if I'm touring or on the road bike. The 20cm will pump tyres but takes about twice as long as the 30cm and I suspect it will saw the valve off if used too often.

I don't use CO2 cans because they are too fiddly and more shoot to recycle. I do sometimes use a sealant-inflation can in deep winter when my fingers are not going to stay warm long enough to patch or replace a tube.

If I were you, I'd mount it to the frame. If it didn't come with a bottle cage clip, consider either taping it to a bottle or getting some Zefal Doodad straps+blocks (or make your own)

Sharky

Guru
I use topeak pocket rocket mini pumps.
They come with a bracket that is bolted under your bottle cage.

I also have a very small mini pump, that just fits in my very small tool bag on my TT bike. It only just works, but gets me back to the start.
Never use c02 pumps, as they are only time savers and I have all the time in the world and you still have to carry a pump in case you run out of c02.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hi

I just got a ToPeak Saddle bag (medium).

Unfortunately the hand pump I have, doesn't fit in this bag.

The pump is only 25cm, so I thought the bag would fit it in.

Do cyclists have really small pumps in their saddle bags or just C02 cannisters?

Another option is mounting the pump on my frame.

As I am a beginner, wanted to know what more experienced road bike users do.

Advice appreciated

Hi

I've bought that very pump when I returned to cycling. Honestly, they're not very good - it will inflate your tyres but it will take an age and in my experience they're fiddly to fit and keep seated.

I'd suggest getting either a Topeak Pocket Rocket or a Lezyne Drive - I've got both (on different bikes) but the Lezyne is easier to use and would be my preference. Both pumps can be had for under £20.

I always mount the pump on the bike frame, which helps avoid leaving home without it.
DAMHIKT. :laugh:

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I've bought that very pump when I returned to cycling. Honestly, they're not very good - it will inflate your tyres but it will take an age and in my experience they're fiddly to fit and keep seated.

I'd suggest getting either a Topeak Pocket Rocket or a Lezyne Drive - I've got both (on different bikes) but the Lezyne is easier to use and would be my preference. Both pumps can be had for under £20.

I always mount the pump on the bike frame, which helps avoid leaving home without it.
DAMHIKT. :laugh:
Thanks Dave, that was my suspicion.

I will get the Lezyne Drive!

vickster

Legendary Member

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

:okay:

Apologies - forgot to mention, if you have a road bike, you'll want a HP (high pressure) model, HV (high volume) ones are more suitable for fatter tyres like on an MTB.

As @vickster says, the smaller the pump, the more strokes to inflate the tube.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have a frame fit pump as I can't be doing with these small pumps that take a mliion strokes ro reinflate a tube. But if that's not an option many smaller pmups come with a bracket you fit to the watter bottle ounts, so you can keep the pump there. Just be wary if you ride in all weathers (and don't have mudguards) of water / mud being thrown on the pump rendering it useless when you need it.

Great pumps but don't get there smallest plastic one it suddenly lost it seal on me a refused to pump. The replacement Aluminium has been great over a longer period and touchwood has never let me down and gets pressure in a tubeless tyre ok when I have had to plug them. Just remember if your tubes have removable stem cores tightening them before you need to pump :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got the Topeak Peak DX, they fit to the frame nicely.

Don't discount CO2, admittedly at the really cheap end there are some pap systems that are a one shot / one mistake and you're done / stranded sort of arrangement, but if you pay a few quid more you get a trigger / button that controls flow and eliminates wasting your whole canister on a messed up connect.
The Giant Control Blast 1 is good, I've owned one for ages.

Top Bottom