Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hey there. This has probably been asked lots, but what are your views on these compressed gas pumps? Just that I don't like carying a pump on my bike, and I need something quick, small and reliable for race emergencies. Need a very quick inner tube change. Thanks

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Probably not applicable to your situ, but I just bought a Topeak Road Morph and am very happy with it... reasonably light and does a good job of pumping up a tyre quickly

lazyfatgit

I've got a Topeak Two Timer.

bought it for the CO2 function, but didnt want to be stuck in the bush with no mobile signal and no more gas.

Gas is great for quick fixes and i also tested the pump end out in the shed. Not much hope of getting to 120psi, but i did get enough air in to ride on with care. Which was really all i expected it to do.

Willo

Simon_m said:
Hey there. This has probably been asked lots, but what are your views on these compressed gas pumps? Just that I don't like carying a pump on my bike, and I need something quick, small and reliable for race emergencies. Need a very quick inner tube change. Thanks

Had to use mine in anger for the first time last weekend. Proved simple and effective to use. However, in my haste by the side of the road, I hadn't fitted the tube and tyre correctly so had to deflate and get my wife to bring another catridge out to me to reflate again.

So for me, simple and effective provided you carry 2/3 cartridges, which is not a problem given they're so small.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Hi again. Ok thanks. Not hears of this road morph, so I will take a look.

How many carts do u think it wod take to get it to 120? I guess as long as I could still compete in the race, that would be fine. Oh dear regarding getting cheesed off with the tire and putting it on wrong. I guess if under pressure, you cod make mistakes. Thanks

lazyfatgit

I've done 2 punctures on the current cart. 700x23c. depends on the volume of gas you need for the tyre/tube size.

I let the co2 out and refill with air with the track pump. first puncture i repaired the tyre had gone soft after 2 days sitting. was fine when filled with air.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
What are the chances of your getting back into the race bunch after you've stopped to fix a puncture? Race tyres aren't well known for being easy to fit or remove, so even with CO2 you'll be 5 minutes or more off the back.

If you rely on CO2, either you are going to have to carry extra cartridges over the top of the number of tubes you've got, or you are going to end up walking home or phoning for help at some stage.

With a pump rather than one CO2 per tube, you have the following advantages...
You can put air in the punctured tube to find where the hole is.
You can correct for any tyre fitting errors.
Failing to fit your gas supply to the valve properly isn't a problem.
Its worth carrying instant patches for those times when you failed to find the cause of the problem (and there *will* be some).
You can pump up a tube you've mended with an instant patch

Also, as lazyfatgit pointed out, inner tubes are somewhat porous to CO2 and at some stage you'll miss the start of a ride because you forgot to swap CO2 for air and were in too much of a hurry on the morning of the ride.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Not sure about that. I'm not going to pee around with patches and repairs. Just bin it and put a new one in for about £5-£10. The triathlon race with the cycle in the middle, I'm certainly not just going to give up. Going to try and complete the cycle and make up the time as much as poss in the run. Extra carts is ok, rather then a full pump I think. I always take my proper pimp to the race too, this is just if halfway around and it goes. Would be nice to have a support veichle following like in le tour lol.

When home, I would empty the inner tube and fill to the correct psi with my proper pump. Seems like the jury is out. Thanks

theloafer

Legendary Member
hey simon ..try this.. http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/road-drive.html very neat .. :rolleyes:

There a bit one shot IMO. I also don't like messing up my frame with a pump and its also something to forget/ get nicked so I went for a Topeak micro and have that in my jersey. Im a weight weenie :rolleyes: so I went for it in carbon and I thought I might put it on a carbon frame but I haven't it fits so well in the pocket; there's also a alu version, knowing how small it is and having never fitted it to the frame I'd opt for it. Its so small and light though that I have to attach it to the spare innertube to weigh it down. Its been reliable enough for me but touchwood I hardly ever p'ture and the odd time I've used it has been fine. For racing however if you p'ture often you may want something faster, I quite like the idea of the combi pump/CO2.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Not sure about that. I'm not going to pee around with patches and repairs. Just bin it and put a new one in for about £5-£10. The triathlon race with the cycle in the middle, I'm certainly not just going to give up.
I was thinking road race rather than tri.

With the patches, a packet of Park instant patches is no size or volume. I was thinking more of not having to walk 15 miles back in cycling shoes. At some time you are going to put in the (last) new tube and find your tyre flat again in another couple of miles. There's fair chance of this if you are in a hurry - eg get a thorn or flint that gives a slowish puncture, then get a snakebite before the tyre is soft enough for the initial puncture to have been noticed. Then you say "damn, a snakebite" and do a quick tube change without checking the tyre for anything else.

Top Bottom