Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
Being a newbie, I'm going to get a mini pump soon. But will this do, or will I have to get a track pump as well?
I was thinking of getting a Specialized mini pump, but can't find out the max psi it inflates to.
I have Continental Gp400s, 110 psi I think they have to be inflated to. A few mini pumps that I have looked up, only have a range of up to 100 psi.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You want a track pump at home as it makes it far easier should you want to get the high pressures into the tyre - they should take up to 120psi.

I'd then get a smaller mini pump as a "get me home" aid mounted on the bike.

Mini pumps don't get anything where the claim in regards of psi. Whilst a mini pump would get you by in the short term if you had low pressure hybrid or mtb tires, since you've got high pressure road bike tires, I'd recommend getting a track pump too. The advantage of having tires pumped up to near your max ( i use conti and put 105 in the rear and 100 in the front) they'll roll better and be less susceptible to p'tures. With a track pump you'll get that easily and there'll be no guessing.

e-rider

crappy member
even if a mini claims 120psi it's almost impossible to get that and you'll be sweating buckets trying to!

a mini pump is really only useful out on the road when you get a puncture - I can get about 80psi with mine (it claims 120psi); which is enough to get home on.

For home use, buy a track pump.

som3blok3

I'm still fairly new to the forums but have been riding bikes for years. Imo mini pumps are an ok fix on the road but you can't beat a track pump at home.

I keep an 02 inflator and a spare tube on me at all times and a track pump at work (where my bike spends most of it's time) and thats all I need, threw the mini pump away last year!!

Well if you had to buy one now, and you need to carry it with you - mini pump.

Personally I don't like them and go for the co2 route on the road bike and some basic bontrager for the MTB. For co2, buy a box of 10-20 online with inflator (from tyre inflators) and that will suit you for a long long while and cost you just asmuch as inflator+2 cans from big name stores (also beware of co2 haters).

If/when I buy a new mini pump it will probably be the topeak morph (or mini morph) as it has a little tube (and a foot rest+good handle) on it, pumping with the pump rigidly attached to the wheel is the awkward part for me.

Track pump - I use a £5 cheapy from Aldi, and its worth the money even if people here complain about it. Will be upgrading it soon, don't regret the purchase of the cheapy though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm still fairly new to the forums but have been riding bikes for years. Imo mini pumps are an ok fix on the road but you can't beat a track pump at home.

I keep an 02 inflator and a spare tube on me at all times and a track pump at work (where my bike spends most of it's time) and thats all I need, threw the mini pump away last year!!

Mini for road use and a track pump for home.

I have read that co2 inflaters are good quick fixes but obviously i would forget to carry spare cartridges and i have read that co2 goes flat if you forget to pump them up "properly" when you get home :rolleyes:

Top Bottom