Puncture Hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Hoe

Regular
Hi guys and gals. I have a problem, I commute with an elswick peloton 14 speed road bike with CST slick tyres. My problem is that even though I am VERY careful where I ride, I keep getting punctures. I do not ride over anything obvious and my route is clear as my MTB has no problems at all.

I have checked the rim/spokes for anything sharp, same as the tyre also. I just don't get it. What tyres/tubes do you, my fellow cyclists recommend?

Please help a very frustrated cyclist.

Many thanks

Dave

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Are the tyres at the correct pressure?

Best tyres for puncture resistance in my opinion are marathon plus

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I am also on a tyre learning curve.

I use a steel road bike that came with Continental Gatorskins, they seem very reliable and go on forever - though I have issue with them in the wet.

My favourite tyre to date has been the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase Tyre which has a triple puncture protection. in 700 x 25c guise, these are fab, I cover 1000s of miles on them without issue on my Giant Defy. They still seem to be available here and there but perhaps they are discontinued, not sure. £20 each.

I also have been using Specialized Espoir Sports in 700 x 23c guise, but they are cheap and I have had a lot of issues with potholes and punctures.

I need a new set and have just bought some Vittoria Rubino Pro Folding Clincher Tyre in 700 x 23c mode. I am hopeful they will be OK. £18 each from Wiggle.

Are you running 700 x 25c or 700 x 23 c ?
Perhaps new rim tape would be advisable.
There could be a object in the tyre which is gently piercing the tube - i've had this before - very annoying.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Rubinos are 'ok', a much needed improvement over my Schwalbe Ultremos for commuting, but they are not without their faults. Rubinos are cheap and cheerful but if you're looking for sturdy tyres Schwalbe Marathon+ or Conti GP's are the way forward.

akb

Veteran
I used Continental Travel Contact in my commuter days and had 1 puncture in approx 2500 miles.

Ive no changed the tyres on the Hybrid to Bonty Harcase Lites and doing well so far in approx 150 miles of leisure road rides. Saying that, I did notice a pinch flat which I reckon was me misplacing the track pump.

Maybe change of tyres, or as has been said above, use a track pump to be sure they are inflated to optimum pressure

wilkotom

My favourite tyre to date has been the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase Tyre which has a triple puncture protection. in 700 x 25c guise, these are fab, I cover 1000s of miles on them without issue on my Giant Defy. They still seem to be available here and there but perhaps they are discontinued, not sure. £20 each.

Yeah, they've been discontinued. From what I've seen, the replacement is the AW1 Hard-Case Lite. As far as I can tell, it's the exact same tyre with a new name.

Top Bottom