"Puncture proof" MTB Tyres. Your recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JIMMER15

Hi All, as the title suggests i would be interested to know what tyres your using and how well there doing for not getting punctures ??
Cheers
:biggrin:

PK99

Legendary Member
JIMMER15 said:
Hi All, as the title suggests i would be interested to know what tyres your using and how well there doing for not getting punctures ??
Cheers
:biggrin:

specialized armadillos - worn out several pairs with no punctures

02GF74

Über Member
my friend was getting puncturues on a weekly basis (thorns, glass, stones); I fitted schwalbe marathon plus as well as slime filled inner tubes and she has not had a single puncture so far (and I should know as I am the mug who would fix them :biggrin: )

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Armadillos will ward off the fairy pretty effectively but are next to useless on wet chalk as my mate Dave can show you from his x-rays. yer pays yer money and yer.....

PK99

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:
Armadillos will ward off the fairy pretty effectively but are next to useless on wet chalk as my mate Dave can show you from his x-rays. yer pays yer money and yer.....

any recommendations for wet chalk?

Norm

BLD0551.jpg

:biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue:

Very little without studs works on wet chalk. The nature of the chalk itself is the issue, you can stick what you like to the top layer but nothing will stop it sliding over itself.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
PK99 said:
any recommendations for wet chalk?

Narrow mud tyres with very pronounced widely spaced blocks. Very narrow ones, like 1.7's, they cut through the slippery slimey stuff and don't clag up, nor do they jam in the stays.

I've got some old Spesh Extreme Master/Extreme Control kevlar beaded ones, that are reserved for wet days on the South Downs and in Wealden clay. Bought three pairs when they stopped making them. imo round here (so long as I stay away from the sandstone bits of the Surrey Hills) I've yet to find a better winter tyre for chalk/clay for my style of riding. But I admit they look odd on my Boardman Pro HT, just way too skinny for a modern bike.

Thorn Resistant inner tubes.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Stans No-Tubes

Tubeless is the only way to prevent punctures. Easy to do. Very cost effective. The only time you'll need to remove the tyre is to throw it away when it has worn out.

Wet Chalk?

No tyre works on wet chalk

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wet chalk? What are you, a bunch of teachers?

Up here it's GRITSTONE lad, it wears out yer bike and yer skin. The only thing rougher is gabbroe and you only get that in Scotland.

maurice

+1 for UST tyres with Stans.

I converted both my mtb's to tubeless a year ago and not a puncture since. The vulnerability is the sidewall of the tyre - that's what tubeless repair kits are for.

MTB's also ride better tubeless, it's hard to describe exactly but something to do with less resistance for the tyre to deform over roots etc.

Tynan

Veteran
not this again

rider and route is a factor rarely mentioned

generally speaking the more resistant tyre will be heavier and compromise grip

Top Bottom