Puncture proof tyres ? Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ngeorge

hi

New to road cycling. Looking at upgrading my bontragers that came with my Trek modane.

Key factor being "puncture proof" so happy to sacrifice a bit of speed this summer.

Looking at continental Grand Prix 4 seasons ? Any good or any others to consider / recommend ?

Thx

MikeW-71

Veteran
Prepare for loads of different suggestions :smile:

No tyre is puncture-proof unless it's solid, just different levels of puncture resistance.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus is regarded as the most resistant, but the downside is it's pretty heavy and slow to get rolling. Personally I have been running Continental 4 Seasons for quite a while now without any problems and also GP4000S, which are quite a fast tyre that still has decent puncture resistance. The 4 Seasons are only slightly slower than the 4000s, impressive tyre.

Others to consider? I've tried Vittoria Rubino Pro, which are quick and grippy and have good puncture protection also.

U

User6179

Key factor being "puncture proof" so happy to sacrifice a bit of speed this summer

Most folk say that but end up with a race orientated tyre like Gp4000s , if you truly want puncture resistance then Durano plus or Specialized Armadillo both have sidewall protection as well as on the tread , others like Conti Gatorskin just have puncture protection on the tread but roll better , 4 seasons are similar to Gatorskin but with a better rubber compound for more grip ,
Personally I run Gp4000s for the summer months and rarely puncture , maybe once every 1000 miles on average if that .

Presume you mean a Madone - so a road bike.

I use700cx25 Conti Gatorskins and now the Hardshell variant on my Giant Defy road bike - and I ride hawthorn-strewn roads between October and March.

Touching wood, and with great respect to the P*ture fairy, I've not had punctures in any of these tyres over several thousand miles, unlike the standard Kendas that came with the bike. They ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

zacklaws

Guru
I have switched to Maxxis Refuse from Conti 4000's GP, did 3500 miles on them and only one puncture.........but for an event on Saturday I changed the back one as the original was a bit cut up, incredibly suffered two punctures in only about 60 miles, first after only about 5 miles, one I think though was the seam on the inner tube splitting (it too had done 3500 miles so may have been fatigued) and cannot find any cause for the second and as it was in the side of the inner tube, possible I nicked it fitting the tyre.

Solved the problem, suffered two more punctures today, all four punctures in exactly the same spot.......discovered I had a section of dodgy rim tape which was loose and moving about. So the integrity of Maxxis Refuse has been retained

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Michelin pro 4 endurance for me

ChrisEyles

Guru
Schwalbe marathon plus or regular marathon are great for puncture resistance, I've had one puncture in the last 10,000 miles since I switched. While I fully believe that they roll slower than a "racier" tyre, I personally can't tell much of a difference.

The other puncture resistant tyres I've used for a while are (27") panaracer paselas with "tourguard" (basically kevlar under the tread) on my ten speed. These are also faring well (one puncture in 4,000 miles), and give a subjective performance increase over the previous (old and rubbish) tyres I had on the bike.

Learning to change a tube at the roadside without taking too much time and frustration is still a necessity though, even with a fancy puncture resistant tyre!

Top Bottom