Puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I use the regular Schwalbe Marathon's on my second bike and I had a few punctures with them over the last year since fitted. It was always from using a certain cycle path which I now avoid.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Now tempted by the Bontranger Hardcase as they are half the price of the Durano Plus. They seems adequate for mainly dry commuting as I usually use my "hybrid" in the rain.

Glover Fan

Just a thought. No tyre is completely puncture proof.

I had a cheapo set of Schwalbe Blizzards at £15 for the pair on my road bike for 3000 miles. I had 1 visit from the fairy per tyre.

When they wore out I got given a set of Conti Gatorskins for Christmas. After precisely 126 miles I got a visit from a thorn.

Punctures are largely due to luck and awareness of the road. Make sure your tyres are always fully inflated and don't ride in the gutter of the road.

I know it is defeatist, but also just learn to accept that punctures are a part of cycling. You WILL get one, they take only 20-30 minutes to replace for a novice on the side of the road. After my recent experience I would rather spend decent money on a lighter tyre for a road bike, than one which professes to be puncture resistant because of this.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Your best changing the front if anything. I've found it's the front that's goes.
I think it varies, in 4 years of commuting i have had only one front flat whereas the 5-6 a year i normally get always end up on the rear tyre , i know it sounds like a lot but i have a particulary nasty stretch of glass and debirs strewn cycle path that i once counted 20 + hazards that could take a tye out in about 1 mile and the only other option is a 3 lane roundabout thats scary enough in a car as all the drives use whatever lane they think will get them to the exit fastest and damn things like indicators or lane discipline.

musa

Über Member
I think it varies, in 4 years of commuting i have had only one front flat whereas the 5-6 a year i normally get always end up on the rear tyre , i know it sounds like a lot but i have a particulary nasty stretch of glass and debirs strewn cycle path that i once counted 20 + hazards that could take a tye out in about 1 mile and the only other option is a 3 lane roundabout thats scary enough in a car as all the drives use whatever lane they think will get them to the exit fastest and damn things like indicators or lane discipline.

Fair dos, JME I've had especially when a courier, the worst being a slow puncture

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I fitted the Hard Cases this evening. The good thing about this whole episode is that it made me realise what a dirty grubby cyclist I am. I cleaned up the wheels and cassettes and sprockets and lockets and widgets and didgits - they were absolutely bogging! I took the chain off and cleaned it with cleaning stuff and a toothbrush - it was WAY WAY too dirty.

"I Thomk promise to clean my bikes loads from now on" :angel:

Richard Woodrow

Regular
How are you getting on with the hard cases?
After another darned puncture on my Rapid using Kenda tyres supplied with the bike, think it is time for me to change to more puncture resistance.
Local bike shop is punting Armadillos?

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
How are you getting on with the hard cases?
After another darned puncture on my Rapid using Kenda tyres supplied with the bike, think it is time for me to change to more puncture resistance.
Local bike shop is punting Armadillos?
Nothing but praise although I've only done about 300 miles on them. They seem tough, good quality, good value etc

D

Deleted member 1258

Nothing but praise although I've only done about 300 miles on them. They seem tough, good quality, good value etc

I've been on the racelites for several years now, they've been very good, very few flats with them, and mostly its been when something has failed, valve coming away from tube, faulty/damaged sidewall on a very old tyre, me catching the tube when putting the tyre on and the tube failing eighteen months later.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Update: I've now done about 2000 miles on the the Bontrager race lite hardcase tyres and they have been fantastic. No punctures and in very good condition still, just one small slit in the sidewall of the front one which has been there for about 1000 miles and not getting any worse. For a very inexpensive pair of tyres (less than £30 the pair) they roll well, are not the heaviest and seem fairly puncture proof. I use them mainly for commuting but have also done a short tour on them and a 100 mile sportive.

D

Deleted member 1258

Update: I've now done about 2000 miles on the the Bontrager race lite hardcase tyres and they have been fantastic. No punctures and in very good condition still, just one small slit in the sidewall of the front one which has been there for about 1000 miles and not getting any worse. For a very inexpensive pair of tyres (less than £30 the pair) they roll well, are not the heaviest and seem fairly puncture proof. I use them mainly for commuting but have also done a short tour on them and a 100 mile sportive.

My geared best bike went two years and between 3-3500 miles before I had a flat, and I only had a flat after hitting a large piece of debris in the road and wrecking both tube and back tyre, snakebite puncture and a torn sidewall, if I'd missed that piece of rubish the tyre would have still been going.

Top Bottom