Puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, after borrowing my mate's bike for a few months for commuting to work instead of the tube I'm plunging for buying my first bike in 20 years!!

I think I am goign for the Sirrus Sport as opposed to a Trek. The commute is 20 miles round trip through London. The shop says I need to swap the Sirrus tyes for puncture resistant ones for £50. Is he just 'upselling' or doi I need them? Am I better off staying with the ones I have and if they keep gettng punctured, then swapping?

Thanks in advance.

tyred

Legendary Member
You don't "need" them but they sure make life easier when you don't get a puncture in the dark when it's wet and windy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No you don't 'need' them. Get into the habit of giving your tyres a quick check every evening when you get home to dig out any flint, bits of glass, whatever. I cycle a 30+ mile round trip through the hell hole that is SE London and have had only 2 punctures this year so far.

Another good tip is to not ride in the gutter. Keep a little further right in the road, where the cars left hand tyres run, as they would have cleared any crap in the road.

So look after your tyres and they will look after you.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You can always buy tyres with puncture resistance later. Make sure you can repair a puncture / swap an inner tube at the roadside as a precaution. If you find you need to use that skill alot then it's time to get stronger tyres, if not I wouldn't bother.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
£50 - And you're buying the bike from them !

You can buy standard Schwalbe Marathons for as little as £10 each or £15 each for the plus version, both have excellent puncture protection.

What tyres are they asking £25 each for?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The cheapest I have found for Marathon + recently is £23.50 - I would love to get them for £30 a pair (I suffer badly from punctures :sad: )

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I bought my standard Marathons from Planet X last year for £9.99 each including free postage. The M+ were a bit more, looks like they hiked the price 50% for 2011

Cheapest M+ £19.99 here in Rotherham

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item415b602bfd

It is not unreasonable that should expect a deal if you're buying a bike from the shop as well.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Tyre pressure! Get a good track pump with a gauge and keep the tyres nice and hard. Much more effective than kevlar imho.

Top Bottom