Punctures ... wrong tyres for job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Hi all

Bought a new bike for commuting and it was already fitted with continental ultra sport tyres.

I've had 2 punctures in 2 weeks. I've checked the rims/inside of tyres etc.

Was just wondering if I should get a pair of tyres more suited for commuting rather than 'racing'?

Any advice on best make would be appreciated.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Do you know what's causing the unplanned deflation events (and have you located the objects responsible and removed them from the tyres)?

I don't know the Conti ultra sport, but the Kenda Contender that came fitted to my SCR2.0 were bloody dire - I replaced them with Schwalbe Stelvios (which have a Kevlar belt under the tread, Schwalbe call this "Raceguard") and found them to be a good compromise between UDE prevention and speed.

Tynan

Veteran
the default tyres tend to be a bit crap, not saying these are

got them at the correct pressure?

and try not to ride in the gutters, crappy bits of road, especially after rain

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Thanks for replies.

I really couldn't put the punctures down to anything in particular.

The one last night (that really pissed me off as it was hammering down and I was riding through a right rough area) just 'happened'. There were 3 very small punctures in a kind of triangle. Pinch puncture perhaps?

The tyres seem decent enough but there is a lot of crap, particularly on cycle lanes (the ones on the road in the lovely red colour, not the off-road ones).

I will give it a few more weeks and maybe save my pennies for some decent schwalbes :tongue:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
snapper_37 said:
I will give it a few more weeks and maybe save my pennies for some decent schwalbes :tongue:

Might be worth talking to your LBS - I got mine for £15 each, they matched the cheapest interweb price.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Try Conti GatorSkins, I don't even bother going round glass these days and I haven't had to take a tyre off for about two years.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
John the Monkey said:
Do you know what's causing the unplanned deflation events (and have you located the objects responsible and removed them from the tyres)?

I don't know the Conti ultra sport, but the Kenda Contender that came fitted to my SCR2.0 were bloody dire - I replaced them with Schwalbe Stelvios (which have a Kevlar belt under the tread, Schwalbe call this "Raceguard") and found them to be a good compromise between UDE prevention and speed.

Thanks for the heads-up, John ! Got my SCR2 today and I didn't think those Kenda tyres looked up to much and had been thinking that I should get something Schwalbe (since the Marathon Plus tyres on my commuter have been brilliant after the crappy Continental Travel Contacts I paid to have put on it when I bought it).

Can I ask where you got yours from ?

Top Bottom