Punditry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Have to say I'm unimpressed with the level of punditry in this world cup. For a start, all of Kevin Keegan's comments seem to be filtered through a depressed sense of failure. What's more, I can't see why they always have to have a foreign player as a pundit, when he doesn't really give a toss about England, and his first language isn't even English. I guess this started with Ruud Gullitt's sexy football. Bring back Mick Shannon!

Mick McCarthy = Dripping Tap.

He does say some funny things though...He called a goalkeeper a tart when said goalkeeper fell over.Other pundit said,"say what you mean Mick."

Either that or I dreamed it.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Yellow Fang said:
Have to say I'm unimpressed with the level of punditry in this world cup. For a start, all of Kevin Keegan's comments seem to be filtered through a depressed sense of failure. What's more, I can't see why they always have to have a foreign player as a pundit, when he doesn't really give a toss about England, and his first language isn't even English. I guess this started with Ruud Gullitt's sexy football. Bring back Mick Shannon!

I know what you mean, they seem to have gone on an anti charisma hunt for the jobs! Adrian Chiles is obviously in man love with Patrick Viera and the others are just all monotoned morons!

I always liked Gullitt though! :biggrin:;)

soulful dog

Veteran
Yellow Fang said:
What's more, I can't see why they always have to have a foreign player as a pundit, when he doesn't really give a toss about England, and his first language isn't even English.
Probably because they are at least trying to pretend the entire World Cup isn't just about one team (though more often than not they end up discussing England anyway), but it's to give an alternative view. That's got to be a good thing has it not?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I switch the sound off at half-time. I know as much if not more about football than most of them. Ther's very few who can give you any sort of insight.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Wigsie said:
that is quite the most ghastly and incongruous thought that this forum has ever had to contend with. I'm not sure whether you should get an OBE or be burned at the stake. Possibly both.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
soulful dog said:
Probably because they are at least trying to pretend the entire World Cup isn't just about one team (though more often than not they end up discussing England anyway), but it's to give an alternative view. That's got to be a good thing has it not?

Absolutely they should, I still think the current set ups on ITV and the BBC seem pretty boring though. I liked Ruud Gullitt though, he was a world class player and good enough at being a pundit as well as interesting. I like Kevin Keegan but it's pretty obvious why he's there as a pundit, unfortunately his knowledge of foreign football is a lot more limited than it might be.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I find it laughable that Keegan is there. Here we have a man who relinquished his post as an international manager admitting that he didn't have a clue what to do being asked to offer his opinions.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
rich p said:
I find it laughable that Keegan is there. Here we have a man who relinquished his post as an international manager admitting that he didn't have a clue what to do being asked to offer his opinions.

Below the belt surely? Whether they've said so or not we've surely had several England managers who didn't know what they were doing in the international football management experience sense of the word (whether they overcame this shortfall or not). Back to my point earlier they've not had much/any experience of foreign leagues either as players/managers in general which again the punditry sense adds little either. Say if we'd had Big Phil as manager you could have had him talking about all sorts of things as a pundit (not that that would happen either).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
marinyork said:
Below the belt surely? ).

Why?
He admitted he was clueless so what is the point of listening to his ramblings?
You're right in the sense that there are many others equally clueless is beyond doubt.
Step forward Graham Taylor:wacko:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
dellzeqq said:
that is quite the most ghastly and incongruous thought that this forum has ever had to contend with. I'm not sure whether you should get an OBE or be burned at the stake. Possibly both.

The truth is ugly sometimes Dell!

Top Bottom