Purchased bike Need help fixing ( I’m a newbie )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shubz

Hi just got a giant allux technology 3 roam bike . But there is some tlc needed with the brakes . Any suggestions or help where I could get parts and what parts to get ? Any assistance would be appreciated . :smile: would like to do it myself as Of the lockdown give me something to do other then watch news .

Attachments

• A389D7D7-C566-434F-AA05-618937D959CA.jpeg
    A389D7D7-C566-434F-AA05-618937D959CA.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 29
  • F8FA4123-B8C3-4774-8114-DB821F6BE779.jpeg
    F8FA4123-B8C3-4774-8114-DB821F6BE779.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 38BBF10B-282D-4600-BBF4-FCC3E10280B9.jpeg
    38BBF10B-282D-4600-BBF4-FCC3E10280B9.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 26
  • B629DECD-985F-4689-AE12-925C9DAB057C.jpeg
    B629DECD-985F-4689-AE12-925C9DAB057C.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 5AA74898-8038-4F5E-BAA5-A0DBC2E62D3E.jpeg
    5AA74898-8038-4F5E-BAA5-A0DBC2E62D3E.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 27

C R

Guru
Hi just got a giant allux technology 3 roam bike . But there is some tlc needed with the brakes . Any suggestions or help where I could get parts and what parts to get ? Any assistance would be appreciated . :smile: would like to do it myself as Of the lockdown give me something to do other then watch news .
For the front you seem to be missing one of the caliper arms. Those are V brakes, so you will need a V brake set, something like this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OP4AMDC/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which has front and rear, but price wise you probably won't save a lot by just getting the front. You will also need two brake cable sets, given the state I would replace inners and outers.

You also seem to be missing the front gear cable, goes from the left shifter to the front derailleur.

Hope this helps.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A set of V brakes as @C R suggests. Always a good idea to replace all the cables on a well used bike. You’ll need a new front tyre as well so remove the rear and check It too, also the inner tubes and replace if necessary. Get some with puncture protection. Check the BB for play too by wiggling from side to side, same with head bearings by holding front brake on (once replaced) and move to and fro to feel play.
Plenty of videos on YouTube for setting up the gears. You’ll need a basic tool kit if you don’t have one already, Decathlon do one for £35, you can also get all the parts from there.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Disc rotor or dork disc? It’s not clear at least on phone (looks to me like grubby plastic)
@CXRAndy is right, there's a disc in there, you can just about see it, what you can't tell is if there's a disc brake caliper to go with it. It may be that whoever bodged that bike stuck a wheel with a disc in it.

To OP, if you have limited mechanical experience with bikes, given the state of the bike, it may be worth checking with a bike shop for advice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The disc wheel could have been swapped in by a previous owner as a quick fix. Disc can just be removed but rim may not be compatible with rim pads, looks a bit narrow so may need a new wheel.
In fact it looks like the pads wouldn't line up with the wheel so may be the wrong size which may be why the brake is disconnected.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
The disc wheel could have been swapped in by a previous owner as a quick fix. Disc can just be removed but rim may not be compatible with rim pads, looks a bit narrow so may need a new wheel.
In fact it looks like the pads wouldn't line up with the wheel so may be the wrong size which may be why the brake is disconnected.
Yep, wrong size wheel, and no rim braking surface, this is a frankenbike alright. Add a pair of wheels to the list of parts needed, with matching tyres and tubes.

Top Bottom