Purely out of curiosity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What is a Mongoose Sector "29er like??

I saw one in Halfords the other day (I know, I know!) and thought it looked quite nice, but the only place I can find it to get more details is their website, and there are no reviews.

I know it isn't a 'serious' bike, in fact some people might say that its little better than a BSO, but as a MTB to faff about on, I thought it looked nice, and the fact that it has "29 inch wheels and suss lock outs too made it stand out from the rest.

Opinions please:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...categoryId_165499_productId_1012517_langId_-1

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I am desperately fighting the snob within me. I hate descriptions that borrow from marketing BS to sell a bike. They describe it as lightweight, because its aluminium. I would venture it's lightweight in comparison to a similar spec bike made of pig iron, but likely to top the scales somewhere north of 15 kg. the fork is described as adjustable, but I suspect it will have a preload adjuster that just about alters the spring rate, but not a lot else. 29er wheels are, in my opinion, not the panacea that everyone raves about ( or did until 27.5 came about). My advice would be to look at used in good condition. There are plenty of Hardtails about at that sort of price, and if they've been looked after most will be a better bet than that. Sorry.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
About what you can expect for the money. As Cubist says you'd be better off with a good secondhand. I recently bought a really nice Trek 7300 composite from the early nineties, unbelievably light. Cost less than a hundred quid for what was originally a $1000 bike! There are great bargains to be had in MTBs, particularly if they are not favour of the month.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I can't vouch for that particular bike, but it does seem cheap. How do they make it for that and make a profit? What I can say is that I am recent convert/fanboy for 29" wheels, they are fab ( well they are on my bike) they roll over the roots and ruts much easier than smaller wheels, it seems like they are more assertive on the ground and move right a long on the tarmac too.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
What is a Mongoose Sector "29er like??

I saw one in Halfords the other day (I know, I know!) and thought it looked quite nice, but the only place I can find it to get more details is their website, and there are no reviews.

I know it isn't a 'serious' bike, in fact some people might say that its little better than a BSO, but as a MTB to faff about on, I thought it looked nice, and the fact that it has "29 inch wheels and suss lock outs too made it stand out from the rest.

Opinions please:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...categoryId_165499_productId_1012517_langId_-1
Due into stores as the month goes on, they've only just started stocking them.
Having seen one in the local store, check they've got everything on the right way. Front wheel was on the wrong way round.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Having seen one in the local store, check they've got everything on the right way. Front wheel was on the wrong way round.

I was merely curious because it seemed a little bit better than the other BSO types they had.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
You should be able to get a look at one instore soon.
Nice colour scheme, Black & Saturn Yellow.

I saw one. It seemed ok, albeit a little heavy, but I never got to ride it (obviously). Oh yes, and the paint job looked good too, I agree!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
29er wheels are, in my opinion, not the panacea that everyone raves about ( or did until 27.5 came about). . Sorry.

You should be damn sorry, there you were @Cubist my highly respected and much loved source of MTB wisdom and then you go and say something like this to break my heart... It's over, over I'm telling you.
I could forgive your wild side and being drawn towards hard tails even though I felt it was slightly unnecessary but no love for the 29r is just a step to far... I'm on the verge of crossing you of the Christmas card list.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You should be damn sorry, there you were @Cubist my highly respected and much loved source of MTB wisdom and then you go and say something like this to break my heart... It's over, over I'm telling you.
I could forgive your wild side and being drawn towards hard tails even though I felt it was slightly unnecessary but no love for the 29r is just a step to far... I'm on the verge of crossing you of the Christmas card list.

Quite right too, consider yourself chastised @Cubist

^_^ To be fair all he said was they're not the panacea everyone thinks they are.

I do believe he said elsewhere that they were pig ugly, people who buy them, simple with no original thought and mere tools of evil marketing ploys but I don't want to put words in his mouth...

Cubist

Still wavin'
^_^ To be fair all he said was they're not the panacea everyone thinks they are.

I do believe he said elsewhere that they were pig ugly, people who buy them, simple with no original thought and mere tools of evil marketing ploys but I don't want to put words in his mouth...

Quite right too, consider yourself chastised @Cubist

^_^

I have no real opinions on them really.

But if you want to squander your hard earned on the bloody things then go ahead....... Don't let me stop you. :tongue:

Shadowfax

How on earth did they manage that ? Forks the wrong way yes but a disc wheel...

classic33

Leg End Member
How on earth did they manage that ? Forks the wrong way yes but a disc wheel...
Their store in Leeds managed to get the two wheels mixed up on a BMX. They knew something wasn't right, but were at a loss as to why there was no movement via the handlebars.
Rear wheel fitted on the front and the chain in place.

Top Bottom