Purpose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

I've enjoyed the Hungry Cyclist website and look forward to his book. The idea of having a purpose to your tour (finding the perfect meal) apeals to me. Cookery is a good choice because you get so hungry cycling and you can gather recipes, try exotic dishes, cook with people you meet etc. Also as a journalist he had three markets to aim at; food articles, travel articles and cycling articles.

It got me thinking what other passions and interests could be the focus of a long tour.
Plants (like Tom Hart Dyke looking for orchids)
Animals (maybe following a migration route)
Music (maybe recording local musicians like 1giant leap)
Rock climbing/mountaineering (maybe traveling between several big climbs by bike)

Anyone got any ideas?

I would'nt mind Touring from New Zealand through to Australia and across to Tonga ~ Somoa & Fiji in search of the Rugby League team that played with the most Flare ...

no point doing it here ... you would'nt get past St Helens :tongue:

Simon

samid

Guru
Alpine skiing :biggrin: I enjoy both, and have been recently thinking (while in the process of seasonal switching from ski to cycle mode) how cool it'd be to cycle up a mountain in the Alps with a pair of fat skis attached to your bike, for a quick run or two on a glacier :ohmy:

yello

I reckon it'd be beach tours for me. Not necessarily sun-kissed, umbrella drink bikini beaches (though they're not excluded) but also the likes of the beaches on The Dingle Peninsula, or Holkham Bay for instance.

snorri

Legendary Member
I usually try to fit in ship photography to my tours, so any distance from the sea, canals or navigable rivers is fairly dull, and climbing mountains in France is definitely out.:wacko:

samid

Guru
Great idea Noodley! Now it dawned on me, visit as many distilleries as I can - that's the real purpose for my upcoming Scotland trip! ;)

Noodley said:
Winemakers. They would have to cycle 100km with me...either before, during or after.

Something like this but on two wheels, not two legs:

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/pages/en/esprit.php

I'm planning a winter's jaunt; either across USA, or Adelaide to Melbourne via Brisbane and Sydney.

Being a cricket-lover, apart from drinking lots of beer and maybe watching Australia v The West Indies, I'd like to visit all the major Test grounds (Perth is out of the way, and Darwin is too hot and far doesn't count, and nor does Hobart!). :?:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Kirstie said:
I want to do a tour which takes in all the stupid and rude place names in Britain...called the 'single entendre tour'...it's a bit of an obsession of mine, largely due to my purile and childish sense of humour.

I take it Wetwang is on your itinery.:evil:

OP
OP
H

hubbike

Kirstie said:
I want to do a tour which takes in all the stupid and rude place names in Britain...called the 'single entendre tour'...it's a bit of an obsession of mine, largely due to my purile and childish sense of humour.

and maybe Duffus in Scotland and Dung in Ireland

jay clock

Massive member
I haven't got any purposes in mind, but I am one of those people who needs an aim for a tour. Specifically it MUST be an A to B, and ideally something that "feels" like an achievement. So being based in one place and doing day rides, no thanks. I live on the South Coast, so "home to Africa" has a nice ring, LEJOG one day, Home to the Med, Coast to Coast across the US etc. And I could not bear the thought of having my luggage carried....

hubbike said:
and maybe Duffus in Scotland and Dung in Ireland

Bell End in Worcestershire...Willey in Leicestershire...Killing on the Black Isle ...Dykes in the borders, Twatt on Orkney

We also came across a superb alteration of a 'passing place' sign near invergordon last week...(and my longs are too long...)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Noodley said:
Winemakers. They would have to cycle 100km with me...either before, during or after.

I've always fanciced a Barcelona to Toulouse ride with this in mind - though I would probably get lost in the Minervois area and never return!

Top Bottom