Put your hand up who's a Triathlete!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

Working my way there...was rowing until October but after a year of back trouble I've decided to work on my swimming over the winter in preparation. First duathlon coming up in 2 weeks then I'm excited for tri's, overall goal is working up to Ironman within the next few years. After years of team sports it's time to find out what I'm really made of - also planning an ultramarathon or two within the next 6-8 months

pash

Go on then we must inaugurate this new Folder!!
I have done one Super Sprint, but wasnt very good at it :shy: anyway it was great fun and am training to do a few next year!
Is anyone here training for it? Maybe we can exchange tips? :thumbsup:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am now, having started last year at the deep end (see my signature for the painful details). I am now engaged in serious winter training with a view to doing a whole range of events from sprint tri's to a half-Ironman next year.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
xxmimixx - it'll be the Yorkshire one at Pugneys in July, simply because it's about 10 miles from me.

The only concern with that one is I'm doing the 3 Peaks in 24 hours (UK not Yorkshire) a week later for charity.

jay clock

Massive member
I am now, having started last year at the deep end (see my signature for the painful details). I am now engaged in serious winter training with a view to doing a whole range of events from sprint tri's to a half-Ironman next year.
Flying Monkey, what happened. The website has no reports of how it went.....

mr Mag00

rising member
i did 3 sprint in 3 months 2010 and 4 winter duathlons, nothing this year due to work and niggling injury but hoping to go standard next year and IM in a couple of years.

fimm

Veteran
Nice coincidence. For once in my life I followed the rules rather than winging it, and was lucky to have no injury or mechanicals, and never once felt I could not get round. My first ever marathon and that was 5:21 with a fair bit of walking (ball of left foot very painful)

How about you? And what's next?
Likewise, having survived the swim (which I was worrying about, but which in fact I really enjoyed) I took the bike conservatively and then got on with the run. It was my 1st marathon too, and I clocked 4:37 - I would have been a bit faster if I hadn't made two toilet stops (and as a woman that's a bit of a delay) and also I tripped and took a load of skin off my elbow so I stopped at a first aid post and got them to bandage it, just because it was bleeding a fair bit and I wanted it covered. That was at about the half marathon point.

I had a bad patch at the halfway point on the bike, I could happily have got off at that point, but once I got through that I never thought that I wouldn't finish. I am not saying "never again", but I have no current plans to do another Ironman. I want to run a stand-alone marathon next spring (I know which one, I just need to enter it) and then I'd like to do some more of the local sprint and standard distance races - I feel that I'm more interested in going faster than going further at the moment. Also local shorter races require less training and travelling time!

What about you?

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

xxmimixx - it'll be the Yorkshire one at Pugneys in July, simply because it's about 10 miles from me.

The only concern with that one is I'm doing the 3 Peaks in 24 hours (UK not Yorkshire) a week later for charity.

I' m such a newbe compared to you all :blush: you have set yourself a big challeange, Im sure you will be ok !

logrus

Was inspired to do my first ever Triathlon in october, for a local charity
It was a sprint distance event.
I totally enjoyed myself, even though i am a bit slow and fat every single person congratulated and encouraged me on the day.
I plan to do a few more next year, though i haven't pinned down which ones.
I think i'll try a few super sprint and sprint events and stay at that level until i get a more reasonable level of fitness.

uge

Hi everybody.

After a few halfs, last year i made my first complete ironman in Nice (10:58:50), i did also the "Desafio doñana" which is very similar distance to an Ironman, but in a different order: 180km bike, 1km crossing Guadalquivir river, and 30km run along a sandy beach.

Ah!, i also did the ITU Triathlon Cross World Campion. I made 12th in my age group.

For the next year i´ll do the Uk Ironman in Bolton in July 22.

007fair

Go on then we must inaugurate this new Folder!!

I have done one Super Sprint, but wasnt very good at it :shy: anyway it was great fun and am training to do a few next year!

Is anyone here training for it? Maybe we can exchange tips? :thumbsup:

This winter is learn to swim winter. Then I aim to be doing my first sprint before next summer
I have done the 1st Monster at Loch ness twice( Run and cycle) and most of the people who did this also did tri athlons. I could swim 50 meters front crawl 2 months ago. Now my technique is better I am on about 300 fingers crossed will be up to 750 next Spring I fancy the Craggy Tri up at Oban

gordyfinbar

Über Member
i have competed in several triathlons both pool based and open water swims . Cycling is my best disipline by far and my splits always reflect this

gordyfinbar

Über Member
This winter is learn to swim winter. Then I aim to be doing my first sprint before next summer
I have done the 1st Monster at Loch ness twice( Run and cycle) and most of the people who did this also did tri athlons. I could swim 50 meters front crawl 2 months ago. Now my technique is better I am on about 300 fingers crossed will be up to 750 next Spring I fancy the Craggy Tri up at Oban

i started swimming again a year ago after nearly 20 years and had no decent freestyle technique and like you could only manage 2 lengths . i used you tube videos to improve (Google Swim smooth) and now swim 1k 3 times a week
Beware , open water swimming is very different to swimming laps in a pool . Although a wetsuit will aid bouyancy panic attacks are common in open water events.

Good luck

Top Bottom