Putting new life into a cycling jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pulcinella

My trusty Altura cycling jacket has faded with years of use from a strong dayglow yellow to a pale primrose colour. I don’t want to part with it as it fits me well and still has life in it, but I’d like it to be a bit more noticeable to traffic. Has anyone had experience of dyeing their jacket back to a stronger colour?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Some material can not be dyed :sad:

Primrose is so this season.

Enjoy it.

No great need for dayglo in daylight.

At night use good (can be cheap) be-seen lights - two at the back.

If you insist on being "noticed" wear bright shorts/bottoms.

Or no shorts/bottoms.

A car hit me last winter. Drove into me, low speed, no damage done.
I was wearing a nearly new dayglo jacket, had two lights on the front and was riding a bright yellow bike. 10.30AM.
Guy stopped and was most apologetic. He'd just left home so took me back for a cuppa. He was genuinely upset and I believed him when he said that he just hadn't seen me.

If all that gear can't be seen then I wouldn't worry about a bit of fading.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm not convinced that drivers notice you any better if you're wearing dayglo versus any light colour. There's an argument that the human brain (especially in built up areas) now largely filters out dayglo colours as non-noteworthy ever since everyone from postmen to parcel deliverymen to bus drivers started wearing a hi viz vest years ago. About the only time your clothing is a bad choice is if you go out in dark clothing at night with no lights on.

I had the orange Altura jacket so I think I know the material, I'm not sure that can be dyed effectively.

I'd say continue to wear and enjoy your jacket. Or treat yourself to a new one in the same size?

Edit:
I was wearing a nearly new dayglo jacket, had two lights on the front and was riding a bright yellow bike.

Good point by Darius, wearing my neon orange Altura I had the nearest of near misses when a van pulled out on me from a side road as I rode towards him. I challenged him at the next lights and guess what... he didn't see me.
Your dayglo won't ever make up for a driver who isn't looking.

Last edited:
I'm convinced drivers don't see cyclists because they dont look for us. We are small and they are programmed to look for large objects that have the potential to hurt them.

Hitting a cyclist will at worst put a bump or two into their bodywork. Hitting another car will potentially write off their car and put the driver in hospital.

Cyclists shouldn't be there anyway.

OP
OP
Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Thanks for all your responses. I realise now that practically it may be difficult to dye as it's 100% nylon which isn't at all easy to dye well, and the benefits aren't as strong as I thought they may be. Looks like I'll stick with rewaterproofing it instead then!

I've got one similar. I much prefer it to the new replacement. I don't think a smack you in face neon colour is necessary. As long as the jacket contrasts against the surroundings, I think that's all that's needed to get the attention of drivers that have a fuctional pair of eyes and a connected brain.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was wearing a nearly new dayglo jacket, had two lights on the front and was riding a bright yellow bike. 10.30AM.
Guy stopped and was most apologetic. He'd just left home so took me back for a cuppa. He was genuinely upset and I believed him when he said that he just hadn't seen me.

If all that gear can't be seen then I wouldn't worry about a bit of fading.

What he meant to say was, he just hadn’t looked.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm convinced drivers don't see cyclists because they dont look for us. We are small and they are programmed to look for large objects that have the potential to hurt them.

Hitting a cyclist will at worst put a bump or two into their bodywork. Hitting another car will potentially write off their car and put the driver in hospital.

Cyclists shouldn't be there anyway.

This. Drivers only notice vehicles that present a threat. It's why when we drove a proper square Land Rover everybody ignored us.

Top Bottom