Putting thinner tyres on a touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevew

Rolling resistance is much more a function of pressure than tyre width, it's just that narrower tyres will normally withstand higher pressures. Depending on rim width I would expect that 28 or 32mm wide tyres that will handle 100 psi would work well. Perhaps the new Schwalbe Marathons, although I'm sure there are others.
I don't think anything will beat the Marathon Plus for puncture resistance. Their only downside is that they are heavy.

ChrisKH

Guru
BTFB I know you have a Dawes and there was a very good article in CTC's recent mag on the current Dawes tourer on sale and the trade off between using the tyres it came with (Schwalbe) and thinner tyres with less rolling resistance. The general consensus would be that you can, but the ride/handling becomes more harsh. Let me know if you need my copy.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Let me know if you need my copy.

Thanks Chris...I think I am just going to buy a set of schwalbe racers anyway and see what happens...as long as they fit my wheels I will be able to ride them and if they arnt as comfy when I have the bike loaded I can just use them for when I'm not loaded (wait that sounds bad!)

My main concern is will they support the weight of me and the bags.

Top Bottom