Puzzle with rear mech / shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So I've just being doing so fettling on the gfs cyclo Cross bike.

It's got 9 speed ultegra shifters and a 9spd wide range cassette 11-36. New cables all round.

What is puzzling me is that takes a couple of clicks to get it off the 11 sprocket but then 'catches up' by skipping a sprocket further up so ends up on the 36 by the end. If I twiddle the dodah adjuster to get more cable tension so it move off the 11 cog first click, it still skips up the middle range and ends up on the 36 cog with a click to spare.

I have counted the clicks about 50 times, the shifter is defo 9 speed.

Any ideas as its doing my head in??

cant answer your query but ive never failed following this video..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

Hanger looks very straight.

Maybe it knew you guys we’re onto it.
I released the cable took a deep breath and started again, and hey presto it’s now working fine.
How do you know the hanger is straight? You can't see it with the naked eye since it requires a tool that exaggerates the error.
Are your cables good and do they slide over all the guides easily and smoothly?
Is your B-tension good?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Did you replace the outers when you replaced the inners?
Absolutely, I couldn’t have lived with the shame if I hadn’t, also lubed them and fitted new bar tape! ^_^.

It’s shifting like a dream front and back now. With hindsight, I think the cable tension was just too slack first time, but it still puzzles me how it made it all the way up to the largest cog, despite not shifting anywhere on first click, but hey ho.

CXRAndy

Guru
When fitting new cables, there will be a period of stretch(bedding in ) of cables. I tend to do the job twice, once the best I can, then tweak of the settings, indexing, end stop etc after a few days of use

Top Bottom