Pyrenees! when?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hey there, just starting to plan a little trip through the Pyrenees for next year. Did a bit of searching online, but from past experience, are some months better than other May - October. Some say Autumn is perfect. Understandably you can get rain at any time at altitude, but to trying to limit the chances. Maybe I could ask - how long is a piece of string.

Hey there, just starting to plan a little trip through the Pyrenees for next year. Did a bit of searching online, but from past experience, are some months better than other May - October. Some say Autumn is perfect. Understandably you can get rain at any time at altitude, but to trying to limit the chances. Maybe I could ask - how long is a piece of string.

Since you're not getting any replies, I'll suggest CGOAB for some info and add the proviso that the last couple of years have had exceptional weather events in terms of heat and storms in that part of the world (and further afield). Depending on where you are, wildfires can also be an issue and can appear or spread very quickly. Whatever the time of year, a little built in flexibility would be no harm.

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
I’ve only ridden there once in late July, the biggest problem was the amount you sweat on the climbs such that I had to stop on the longer ones just to wash the stinging salty sweat from my eyes, plus the difficulty of carry the necessary amount of water. The riding is incredible but if I were to go again I would pick some much cooler months.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Since you're not getting any replies, I'll suggest CGOAB for some info and add the proviso that the last couple of years have had exceptional weather events in terms of heat and storms in that part of the world (and further afield). Depending on where you are, wildfires can also be an issue and can appear or spread very quickly. Whatever the time of year, a little built in flexibility would be no harm.

thanks. what's happened to this site, seems to be less and less people on here now. I will check the link.

ok thanks.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I’ve only ridden there once in late July, the biggest problem was the amount you sweat on the climbs such that I had to stop on the longer ones just to wash the stinging salty sweat from my eyes, plus the difficulty of carry the necessary amount of water. The riding is incredible but if I were to go again I would pick some much cooler months.

ok thanks, i was looking at june or september

September is probably the optimum month. Schools are back, tourists gone, roads empty but free of snow, temp pleasant, typically little rain.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Have been for six trips to Pyrenees for hiking - not biking - September generally seems good -
For the reasons outlined above.

You can get some fresh snow on the very tops, in the central and high ranges, but it's usually gone in a day - and you'll not be biking up there.

June will more likely have the winter snow residue, plus some fresh.

Western edge (Basque) can be wettish at any time if year - think Devon, but with better wine and food..

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
September is probably the optimum month. Schools are back, tourists gone, roads empty but free of snow, temp pleasant, typically little rain.

thats what i was thinking and reading elsewhere

Emanresu

Have been over France/Spain in the northern Basque region in September and had rain, cloud, sun, horrendous hail storm where I had to take shelter in a bothy, then sun again. And that was one morning/afternoon. You don't say which sections so weather could be anything.

There is a Spanish weather site (https://www.tiempo.es/) where you can get historical information for places along the Spanish side of the Pyrenees if you want to check times of year.

And if you ever get a chance to get towards Canfranc have a look at this wonderfully restored station and hotel.

RHCE_EXT_08.jpg

berty bassett

Legendary Member
was out there in June , had cloudy days ( fog when you ride up into them ), sunny days but not stupidly hot and one evening a little rain so guessing its just your luck . there are sites that tell you the av driest months for regions - enjoy

Top Bottom