Pyrennes, predominantly French side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Help! For reasons that I cannot explain my grupetto ( 2 of us at 75 yrs of age and a lad of 70yrs) have decided to abandon a habit of three years and forgo Mt Ventoux in favour of the Pyrennes this summer.

We are of somewhat disparate hill climbing ability so a coast to coast route will not work well for us. I think we need 2 possibly 3 bases, spending 2 or 3 days at each base, with perhaps a bias to the N for ease of access to the ferry ports.

Any local knowledge and do and don'ts and suggestions as to suitable towns and hotels and passes to be attempted will be helpful and much appreciated.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I used to stay in a little hotel in Luchon, when mtbing I'll have rummage later to see what details I can find.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Hedgie, at last somehas broken the wall of silence - thankyou!. I was beginning to wonder if I was seeking info re a "nogo" area.

The gite is still operating and would make a good second base after Argeles-Gazost (about 90k away) perhaps. Do you recall any worthwhile destinations, particularly those across the border? NB: we are unrepentant roadies.

Last edited:

User269

We took the ferry to Bilbao, then a 3 hour drive to near Argeles Gazost. From here you can easily do Col du Tourmalet, Hautacam, Pont d'Espagne, Col d'Aubisque, and Luz Ardiden along with a variety of flattish and hilly routes out towards Lourdes & Soulom. 4 of us rented a place in Ayros-Arbouix, and there are enough rides from this base to cover 2 weeks.
We went in mid June, nice & warm, but a bit wet at times, and quite a few days with low cloud spoiling your view from the summits, but I can't remember when the best time of the year to go is...........probably Sept. if the Alps are anything to go by.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Hedgie, at last somehas broken the wall of silence - thankou!. I was beginning to wonder if I was seeking info re a "nogo" area.

The gite is still operating and would make a good second base after Argeles-Gazost (about 90k away) perhaps. Do you recall any worthwhile destinations, particularly those across the border? NB: we are unrepentant roadies.
My time there was taken up, blasting around off road, but I know that Kate and Ian, ( AQR holidays ) friends of Russ know a lot of roadie routes. Its very easy to climb over into Spain.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I have driven in the Pyrennees a couple of times and found a spot I would love to make my base for a week's cycling. The nice little spa town of Ax les Thermes is ideally positioned for excursions up to Ax 3 Domaines, Plateau de Beille and the Col de Pailhere. It is also not far from Andorra if you fancied a there-and-back-again ride to just beyond the border.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We took the ferry to Bilbao, then a 3 hour drive to near Argeles Gazost. From here you can easily do Col du Tourmalet, Hautacam, Pont d'Espagne, Col d'Aubisque, and Luz Ardiden along with a variety of flattish and hilly routes out towards Lourdes & Soulom. 4 of us rented a place in Ayros-Arbouix, and there are enough rides from this base to cover 2 weeks.
We went in mid June, nice & warm, but a bit wet at times, and quite a few days with low cloud spoiling your view from the summits, but I can't remember when the best time of the year to go is...........probably Sept. if the Alps are anything to go by.
That's where I'll be in June. I've just booked a cycling tour which ends in Lourdes, after which I'll be spending 3 nights at a cycling lodge just south of Argeles Gazost, with the intention of riding some nearby cols over 3 days.

Top Bottom