Q abt TDF timing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Only the occasional on-screen counting-up timer seen at summits and other key points means "G1 passed the point where G2 is right now X minutes ago". The ones along the top of the screen seem to mean "if the finish line was where G1 is right now, we estimate G2 would finish at +whatever".

Now think about the time gaps shown on time trials :evil:
I'm glad someone else has a sufficiently trivial mind to give this some thought.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm glad someone else has a sufficiently trivial mind to give this some thought.
Nothing else to keep minds occupied during ITTs!

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Ok tks for all replies. Timing always taken fr front rider/grp.

Who are into F1? I see two types of timing and it is confusing. Sometimes it seems making ref to front car, at other times is showing gaps between cars until I don't now which is which. Any advise

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Fools who haven't yet realised why it's better sport to have nearly 200ish racers exerting themselves on a linear course instead of 20ish sitting in brum-brums going round and round?

Let me guess. Hmmm....maybe most drivers has stent

biking_fox

Guru
Ok tks for all replies. Timing always taken fr front rider/grp.

Who are into F1? I see two types of timing and it is confusing. Sometimes it seems making ref to front car, at other times is showing gaps between cars until I don't now which is which. Any advise

Yeah F1 shows both and you have to be awake to spot/guess which one it is. Gaps between cars are more important in F1, as <1s indicates an overtake is possible, but cycling only really cares about the winner.

yello

Gaps between cars are more important in F1, as <1s indicates an overtake is possible, but cycling only really cares about the winner.

I'm not sure if "cycling" only cares about the winner. The televising might give that impression but I don't think that's fair to say of cycling fans. Cyclists are constantly 'overtaking' each other so it's not really a thing in and of itself. What cycling does have is the temporary allegiances that will form, in a breakaway or chasing pack, where cyclists of different teams will work together for a shared purpose. That dynamic is fascinating in that everyone knows it will come to an end at some point but the timing of the 'when' is a strategy in itself.

As with any subject, the more you know the richer it becomes. With cycling, you start to see and appreciate these little 'races with races' and see how they are constantly coming into life, evolving and/or petering out. There's only one rider that crosses the finish line first, yes that's true, but there's a whole lot more going on than just that.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
One similarity is the overall event is decided by a series of single races.
So whilst winning a race is good the true objective is consistency over time.

Top Bottom