Q for those that have toured in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Hi All,

I would like to know what others experience have been as to bike storage/security when spending a night in accommodation in France?

I'm planning on camping on my upcoming ride but don't want to rule out cheap accommodation, especially if the weather turns bad, I'd ideally like my bike with me in my room, is this going to be a possibility?

I've read about people staying in "Formule 1" hotels, anyone got any comments about these?

Thanks.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've stayed in a few. They're basic but absolutely fine - decent size, clean etc. You share a bathroom and toilet but I've never had any issues with them at all. I believe that you can generally take your bike in your room for those hotels, but have never used them whilst cycling. The locations are often out of town and on industrial estates, which can make them hard to find on a bike.

Generally accommodation will let you store your bike safely...maybe not often in your room but I've never had any trouble at all.

scraynes

Über Member
I've stayed in a few places in France whilst touring there. I would only stay at a chain type hotel as a last resort. Even the smallest village will have a basic 2 star or even B&B. That way you'll find the French to be very welcoming especially as you're cycling. Just don't judge how some off them look from the outside! Everywhere I've stayed, the owner has allowed me to leave my bike in their garage (you'll see some amazing bikes too).

You come away with some great memories of the places that you've stayed and taken a small piece of the culture - and that's what touring is all about.

I remember one basic 2 star that I stayed in just outside Avrances in Normandy. I and a friend had locked the bikes in the garage for the evening, cleaned up and decided to have dinner in the hotel. Firstly the food was wonderful, but the view to go with it was amazing. We could see out across the bay of Mont St Michel watching the sunset. That in itself would have been good enough, but then the owner came over to our table to talk about what and where we were going on the bikes etc. Only then to get out his 'special' bottle of Calvodos for a night cap. What a good night, and come the morning a typical feast for breakfast, then the bill!! 68 euros (£20 each) for a twin room, dinner, bottle of wine, great view, Good company, breakfast and of course wonderful memory.

andym

Über Member
scraynes said:
I've stayed in a few places in France whilst touring there. I would only stay at a chain type hotel as a last resort. Even the smallest village will have a basic 2 star or even B&B. That way you'll find the French to be very welcoming especially as you're cycling.

I agree.

Also if you are looking for cheaper places to stay don't ignore the gîtes d'étape.

I found the French to be very hospitable towards cyclists when I toured the WW1 battlefields a few years back. More than one Tabac proprietor stood me a beer when he realised I was on a bike. I camped, so I'm afraid I can't help you with the accommodation question, but I can say that France (and Belgium) is a great place to tour.

mcr

Veteran
Everywhere I stayed on my French tour last summer offered somewhere secure for the bike (often without me needing to ask) - from a locked garage to, in one place, the laundry store!

At the one Formule 1 I used, the receptionist assigned me a ground-floor room specifically so I could keep my bike in with me. Same would probably go for the other 'hotel' chains in the same price range, if not more chichi places. The Formule 1's can be depressing places, though - in their noisiness, box-like design and, as Cathryn rightly points out, often none-too-desirable locations by motorways and/or trading estates.

scraynes said:
I remember one basic 2 star that I stayed in just outside Avrances in Normandy. I and a friend had locked the bikes in the garage for the evening, cleaned up and decided to have dinner in the hotel. Firstly the food was wonderful, but the view to go with it was amazing. We could see out across the bay of Mont St Michel watching the sunset. That in itself would have been good enough, but then the owner came over to our table to talk about what and where we were going on the bikes etc. Only then to get out his 'special' bottle of Calvodos for a night cap. What a good night, and come the morning a typical feast for breakfast, then the bill!! 68 euros (£20 each) for a twin room, dinner, bottle of wine, great view, Good company, breakfast and of course wonderful memory.

You'd be lucky to get that lot for 68 euros these days, prices have gone through the roof in the last couple of years.

yello

...and the exchange rate has changed considerably since then too!

I have stayed in a central Nice hotel and they had no problems whatsoever in finding room for 2 bikes. Cycling is as much a part of France as breakfast baguette (stale after midday??) is. You'll experience it in so many ways but the bicycle is part of their life's and tradition, you'd have to go some way to find somewhere that couldn't store a bike!

jay clock

Massive member
I have done 3 lots of one week tours in France and never had a problem getting a locked store-room, garage or similar. In one or two cases it was a courtyard, or garden, but always found somewhere suitable

The F1 and similar (there are better for a few Euros more with their own bathroom) are indeed soulless. However worth knowing that the Campanile and similar offer a buffet breakfast for a reasonable sum, and allows me to stuff my face for a bargain!

Top Bottom