Quad core - is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yes Windows 7 does come with both 32 and 64bit versions in the box, but the license only lets you install one version...

OP
OP
beanzontoast
HJ said:
Yes Windows 7 does come with both 32 and 64bit versions in the box, but the license only lets you install one version...

Does that mean if you install it as 64bit, you can't later on uninstall it and install the 32bit version? Seems strange - I could understand this if it was OEM, but not for the full product. You're still only installing it on one machine at any time.

rh100

No, it means it won't activate if the version you install is not the version the licence key matches. This is the case between say, home premium and ultimate ed'. Not so sure about between 32 or 64 bit though, but I would imagine it's the same issue.

A tip - if you activate windows on one machine, it will not activate if reinstalled again, especially if it's OEM software. BUT - if you phone the toll free number you get when it fails, you go through an automated process, select the options that you only have it on one PC and that the reason is that the mobo needed replacing or something and they will give you an unlock code.

All my experience of this is with XP/Vista though, With Win7 there was talk of this changing and being a bit more lenient. eg I heard they were releasing a 3 user home licence similar to Office for home use. Anybody know?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I think it is the family pack which comes with three licences, but that is only for upgrading from XP or Vista...

Apparently you use Win 7 for up to 120 days before you have to enter the activation key, so you do have the opportunity to switch between versions...

Top Bottom