Quadricycle question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cs641

I'm looking to build a 4 wheeled bike in the style of the original Rhoades car. How does the differential work on one of those? Does anyone sell them? Also for the steering, what parts are needed to make it pivot and what about the spindle?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I normally work on cars and go karts.

Thanks!

Sharky

Guru
Most of us on here are going to be newbies on that type of machine. The only ones I've seen are the ones you get at seaside places for riding up and down the front. Very heavy to ride.

byegad

Legendary Member
The easiest way is to fit a freewheel to both rear wheels. While cornering the outer wheel, having to travel further will ever so slightly click the freewheel as the drive goes to the inside wheel.

Last edited:
The easiest way is to fit a freewheel to both rear wheels. While cornering the outer wheel, having to travel further will ever so slightly click the freewheel as the drive goes to the inside wheel.
Does the front need a freewheel style differential?

OP
OP
C

cs641

I've thought about the freewheel on each side method as it would be easiest but with only one rider you might get into a situation where you're doing the 1 wheel peel on dirt or gravel and get stuck. Something I've learned from Go Karting.

irw

Quadricyclist
Check out my signature for my build diary..!

I didn't bother with a diff- all the wheels are independent. As I was on a budget when I built ours, I made quite a lot of compromises that I wouldn't do now if I built a mark II- I started with two 'donor' bikes I picked up for locally on ebay, but I think the only things I ended up using in the final build where the bottom brackets, derailleurs, chain rings and cassettes, and even they're not really ideal gear ratios. One thing I will say is get decent strong wheels from the off- mine are all 48-spoke 20" BMX wheels with symetrical spokes (as opposed to dished on one side to accommodate the cassette, although I have got cassettes fitted). Oh, and before you even think about going, think about how you're stopping...! I've got two dual-pull brake levers, one of which pulls the front brakes, the other the back brakes.

With regards to steering, you need to get your head around Peter Eland's spreadsheet first and foremost

Also, think about where you are going to take it. I designed mine to be a maximum of 1m wide at the widest point which gets us through most bollards, and it's also liftable between two people so that when faced with a tandem trap barrier or similar, we just hoik it over with one of us at either end.

I've just had the baby thrust upon me, so hopefully that's enough to get going...check out my build thread, then see what questions remain ;) I'll pop back later!

Top Bottom