Quality kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

I've got a few bits of Cannondale kit, which seems to be fairly good quality but not too expensive, and a few bits of Assos kit, which is beautiful quality but eye-wateringly dear.

Is there anything in between - good quality but good value too?

bc

walker

Adidas

domtyler

Über Member
Adidas/Adistar is very good quality and great value.
Giordana bib shorts are easily, if not better quality than the Assos F1's and about fifty quid cheaper.
De Marchi stuff is quite good middle of the range, as is Pearl Izumi.
Gore is more biased toward the top end of the market, their expensive stuff is fantastic quality in general.
Assos arm warmers are the best and not that expensive although only to be used in deep winter as they are very warm.
CycleChat jerseys are obviously the best bit of kit you can buy though! :rolleyes:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There's lots of kit that's "fit for purpose". You've just got to make sure it's fit for "your purpose".

I have a range of stuff from cheap Decathlon shorts through to Assos. I'm not going to trash expensive stuff by using it on a 90 minute training ride before chucking it through the washing machine each day. But if I'm planning to sit on the bike non stop for 90 hours you can guarentee it will be in Assos F1 Mille shorts.

So Aldi and Lidl have workable and very cheap stuff, then Decathlon, Endura and Lusso are lower mid range with almost everything else ranged between there and Campagnolo, Rapha and Assos at the top.

However, with most brands you have to take it on an item by item basis. Sizing is almost random and just because something was good one year, doesn't mean the same model (or it's updated version) will be any good the next. Trying on stuff and making sure it fits is probably more important than any particular brand.

Top Bottom