Quelle chaleur!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went for a quick blat up into the hills this morning. Wow! Half way up I felt like a very sweaty suet pudding and at the top of the first climb I was a breathless, aching, sweaty suet pudding.

What an extraordinarily hot, sunny day! But... I'm now walking occasionally past the TdF on the telly as I get on with general household tasks and I'm feeling a wimp for even daring to sweat this morning.

Lessons learned:

1. Middle age has set in. Fitness and strength are both now rearguard actions.
2. I'm increasingly sure that people who close-pass me on 45mph descents believe they are showing exemplary road manners. I had it today on a straight, open, single-carriageway A-Road against oncoming traffic. The passer barely put his offside tyres across the centre line. He was the head of a short line of cars, which all played follow-my-leader and passed as he did. I was scared. They weren't being intimidatory, but the effect was chilling.
3. I think the fear thing is not unconnected with the setting-in of middle age.

But really... What a beautiful day for a ride!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Weeell ... if you feel young enough to bomb down hills at 45mph you should also be able to brush off close passes with aplomb ... then again MatthewT is 20 years old I believe ... erm ...
It was a lovely day here as well: I went for 2 rides, both disguised as "utilitarian": don't wanna come across as escapist when the washing needs done :laugh:

ayceejay

Guru
Chaleur ? you know rien about it. This is on the Environment Canada website for Quebec today
High heat and humidity warning in effect. Humidex of 40 which means that getting dressed to go for a ride is exhausting, I got dressed and then took it off again and decided to follow the TdF instead.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yesterday (Sunday) was one of a couple of perfect days we've had this month; hot sun, brilliant blue skies and a really fresh NW breeze. I went out for a "no-mates" solo ride and found myself at a new coffee shop (Holden Clough nursery near Bolton by Bowland for any Lancashire riders) had a nice coffee and cake then headed home and felt so good that I rode up Whalley Nab, our local killer climb, which I have only done so far with a triple. It wasn't even too bad.

Legs are tired today though.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Yesterday (Sunday) was one of a couple of perfect days we've had this month; hot sun, brilliant blue skies and a really fresh NW breeze. I went out for a "no-mates" solo ride and found myself at a new coffee shop (Holden Clough nursery near Bolton by Bowland for any Lancashire riders) had a nice coffee and cake then headed home and felt so good that I rode up Whalley Nab, our local killer climb, which I have only done so far with a triple. It wasn't even too bad.

Legs are tired today though.
Sounds like some bloke from "Last Of The Summer Wine". Hope he didn't mind too much.:laugh: (I crack myself up...I really, really do...Ah me)

Top Bottom