Question 2. Swordfish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I had a good day foraging round the reduced to clear section of Morrisons yesterday, and got a piece of Swordfish loin cheap, which I've bunged in the freezer. I'm assuming I could just grill or fry it, but has anyone got any ideas of good recipes, or stuff to go with it? I've never had swordfish....

It's pretty tasty and I'd serve it as plain as possible. Frying is preferably to grilling as it can dry out and get tough, as it is more like meat than fish in consistency.

walker

Patrick Stevens said:
It's pretty tasty and I'd serve it as plain as possible. Frying is preferably to grilling as it can dry out and get tough, as it is more like meat than fish in consistency.

Yeah, about as tasty as water.

I find it a little flavourless myself, but try lightly grilling it or if your feeling a little risque, try very lightly frying it and just adding some lemon juice after and serve with rice.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
1) Put it in a foil "envelope".
2) Squeeze some lemon juice on top (fresh, not a plastic one)
3) Put a few rounds of raw onion on top.
4) Put a spoonful or two of chopped tinned tomato on
5) Close the foil envelope.
6) Put in oven preheated to 180deg C for 35 mins.
7) Lightly boiled pots (new if poss, when in season) and green beans.
8) Report back to us what it tastes like, cos I've certainly never cooked this before! However, it works for other fish, so....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mmm, some good ideas. I was thinking, maybe something with lemon, or lime, juice might be suitable. I do have a steamer (one of those bamboo ones that goes over a pan).

I'll let you all know when I've had it. Won't be tonight, it'll be frozen. Still, it was a bargain (80p from £1.80) and I got a pot of smoked salmon pate for half price as well, makes the lunchtime celery go down better!

Although the reason I went was, I suddenly fancied sushi for lunch, and I've had a little selection from there before. But either they've disco-ed it, or it's been forced out by the enormous Christmas selection of things-wrapped-in-smoked-salmon. Never mind I treated myself to a chocolate sundae thing instead. And I wonder why the diet doesn't seem to be doing much...:tongue:

Definately foil steamer but with thinly sliced garlick and ginger plus lemon juice, soy sauce and chilli.

Or just plain grill with lemon juice.

Serve with rice or plain noodles.

Canrider

Guru
I've found (as others have) that it's very dry meat. I would say treat it like tuna, so you should serve it very nearly raw. Just a couple minutes max on each side, preferably on a BBQ with a squirt of lemon or seasoned and brushed with oil, and then straight on the plate.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:
I've found (as others have) that it's very dry meat. I would say treat it like tuna, so you should serve it very nearly raw. Just a couple minutes max on each side, preferably on a BBQ with a squirt of lemon or seasoned and brushed with oil, and then straight on the plate.

Gonna be hard to BBQ in my flat...:tongue:

But it's all sounding good! I'm going to have to go back and see if I can get another bit cheap to try all the ideas!

gavintc

Guru
I had swordfish in a turkish restaurant on Sat night. It was beautifully served as a kebab interspersed with small slices of lemon. I think it had been cooked in a foil wrap as their was no indication of direct heat on it and it was not dry - tasty.

domtyler

Über Member
Swordfish has extremely high levels of Mercury in it, especially the cheap stuff that you get from some of the 'budget' supermarkets.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Swordfish has extremely high levels of Mercury in it, especially the cheap stuff that you get from some of the 'budget' supermarkets.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to tell what temperature it is...

echo the above ..

flash pan fry it for max 2 mins each side. Serve with linguini and a bechemal sauce and a glass of crisp white wine. Some brocolli would just add a bit of colour.

That's how I prefer it.

Top Bottom