Question about bike warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexeix

Hi there,

I purchased a Specialized Allez Elite 2010 earlier this year and after approximately 500 miles of practice, I did a charity ride from Lands End to John O'Groats in six days last week.

However, on the very first day of the ride, the hub on my rear wheel failed (after less than 100 miles that day). I found a bike shop, but since it was closing time, there was no time to investigate the cause and I had to purchase a whole new rear wheel.
This was not from an authorised Specialized dealer, as I had no means to locate one.

The shop kindly discounted the labour, but the total cost was £80.00. Does this failure constitute fair 'wear and tear' or should I expect Specialized to reimburse me?
I think it's extremely poor for a hub to fail after less than 600 miles and after my experience of this bike (other problems), I would not buy another Specialized road bike.
My off-road bike is a 6 year old Specialized and I've had no problems with that one.

Opinions please...

Thanks.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Good hubs usually last thousands of maintenance-free miles

I would go back to the shop you bought your bike from and claim under warrranty.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No way does a hub failure after less than a thousand miles constitute wear & tear. I routinely ride wheels upwards of 20 years old which must have done tens of thousands of miles. That has to be defective goods. Claim.

on the road

Über Member
Hi there,

I purchased a Specialized Allez Elite 2010 earlier this year and after approximately 500 miles of practice, I did a charity ride from Lands End to John O'Groats in six days last week.

However, on the very first day of the ride, the hub on my rear wheel failed (after less than 100 miles that day). I found a bike shop, but since it was closing time, there was no time to investigate the cause and I had to purchase a whole new rear wheel.
This was not from an authorised Specialized dealer, as I had no means to locate one.

The shop kindly discounted the labour, but the total cost was £80.00. Does this failure constitute fair 'wear and tear' or should I expect Specialized to reimburse me?
I think it's extremely poor for a hub to fail after less than 600 miles and after my experience of this bike (other problems), I would not buy another Specialized road bike.
My off-road bike is a 6 year old Specialized and I've had no problems with that one.

Opinions please...

Thanks.
The hub should last a lot longer than that.

OP
OP
A

alexeix

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to the shop and they said it does indeed sound like a component failure, but of course they need to see the wheel.
They agreed that if I can get it to them, they'll look at it and speak to Specialized, to see if they can reimburse the cost.

Now all I need is to get the repair shop to ship the wheel to me!

So let's see what happens...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Get in touch with your dealer. I had a split rim after about 8 months on a spesh bike & they requested the wheel was sent to them. I stripped it down, tyre tube, skewer & cassette off & sent it back. Spesh sent me a brand new wheel, no quibbling, complete with new tyre & tube, skewer & cassette :rolleyes: Excellent customer service IMO

OP
OP
A

alexeix

Get in touch with your dealer. I had a split rim after about 8 months on a spesh bike & they requested the wheel was sent to them. I stripped it down, tyre tube, skewer & cassette off & sent it back. Spesh sent me a brand new wheel, no quibbling, complete with new tyre & tube, skewer & cassette :rolleyes: Excellent customer service IMO

Sounds like you had a great customer service experience.

The thing is, I had no choice but to buy a new wheel, since my hotels for the week were already booked and it was closing time on Saturday. If I'd wanted the wheel repaired, I would have had to wait until Monday (lots of independent places are closed on Sundays down there in Devon).

So this is an unusual case and I'm hoping that the original retailer in Berkshire together with Specialized will refund my costs, since I don't really need a spare rear wheel.

The shop where I got the new wheel fitted is in Exeter and they are actually a Specialized main dealer, but I don't think they're an authorised repair/service centre.
The name of the place is Richard's Bikes and they were brilliant; they really saved my bacon!
They are even going to arrange for the wheel to be shipped back to me (obviously at cost), so I can't recommend them highly enough.

DavieB

MIA
You can always sell a spare rear wheel, if Spech do what they done for soltydog, you should be bale to make your 80 quid back on a new tyre tube, skewer & cassette

Top Bottom