Question about pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwoInTow

A year or two ago we bought a Hase Pino, and to date it has mostly been used with my daughter on the front. Now she has finally graduated to her own bike for longer rides, and my husband and I are getting the chance to use the Pino for us! So far I have just worn normal shoes (I'm on the front) but I think it's not very efficient - I sort of have to concentrate to keep my feet on the pedals after a while, and I think I'm not pushing as hard as I might be.

So what's the best thing on the front pedals, do you think? Cleats? I have mountain-bike-style shoes with cleats that I use on my normal bike. Or is some sort of other clip best? Does it make much difference or do I just need to adapt?

I'm completely new at recumbent pedalling so advice is appreciated.

BenM

Veteran
I have Shimano M324s on the Orca.

There are other makes of pedal of course and other models in the Shimano range if you are that way inclined. They do very well aside from a squeak and my feet don't fall off the pedals (mind you I don't half notice it when I ride the bike without clipping in - especially up hill; I pull back quite a lot on the pedals apparently!)

B.

henshaw11

Whatever you're using on the mtb should be fine, there's no reason to use any particular type of clipless pedal other than personal preference and comfort.

Using clipless is certainly safer, you're more likely to slip off without 'em if you're putting in much effort.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Use whatever you have and are used to. I've got SPDs on the trike. And as a stoker, you don't even have to think about unclipping to stop, assuming your husband can hold the machine up ok.

Definitely better to have cleats on a recumbent - apart from the power aspect (which is minimal for me!) it's safer and more relaxing to have your feet held to the pedals.

Otherwise, don't fret if you feel you're not as fit on the 'bent as on your upright. You are using different muscles and it takes a while to adapt them. But with it being a tandem, you'll be evening the power out with your husband anyway.

Enjoy!

squeaker

Über Member
Whatever you're using on the mtb should be fine, there's no reason to use any particular type of clipless pedal other than personal preference and comfort.
+1. Standard SPD clipless work well, IME. Shimano A520s are my favorite, as they 'dangle' at pretty much the right angle for clipping in.

OP
OP
T

TwoInTow

Thanks for that - that's brilliant.

So I'll get some SPD pedals and leave it at that. Now off to the accessories forum to ask about the best cycling sandals...

Cheesehound

I'm quite new to recumbents also, and I, too have had the occasional (but potentially deadly) slippery foot problem.

At the same time, I definitely don't have the confidence yet to think about going for the clipless option. HOWEVER, whilst trying to find an interim solution to this problem I encountered an old, unworn, unloved pair of trail-running shoes which had soles with a tread pattern which consisted of large "pimples". - a bit like an oversized version of the studs on Lego.

I tried these a few rides ago and I've not had the problem since. I use them with some quite compact alloy MTB pedals and they really "lock-in" very successfully.

Thought I'd pass that on - from my own experience I know how important it is to eliminate these problems one by one, and then concentrate on the NEXT one..........

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
IMHO, the main beauty of cleats on a 'bent is that you can easily pull the pedal back around to the best 'push off' position if you leave one foot clipped in. I found this actually made learning easier. The power advantages come later, as does the knowledge that you can pull the bike out of what should have been a kerbward dive by hammering it when you need to.

Top Bottom