Trikes.....a general safety question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Without boring you too much, suffering from long covid has robbed my balance and much of my strength.
In the hope I feel up to in by spring I am (mentally) exploring electric trikes.
I have read worrying comments about them rolling over...... not good if my balance is dodgy.
Any up to date thoughts on this ??

DRHysted

Guru
Without boring you too much, suffering from long covid has robbed my balance and much of my strength.
In the hope I feel up to in by spring I am (mentally) exploring electric trikes.
I have read worrying comments about them rolling over...... ot good if my balance is dodgy.
Any up to date thoughts on this ??

Tadpole designs (two wheels at the front, one at the rear) are quite difficult to roll, although it can be done.
When cornering aggressively I can get it to lift a wheel, but with a little correction it goes back down.

Have have a narrow ICS TNT, I've never come even close to tipping on the road, but I'm a sedate rider. I have tipped over crossing a grass bank very slowly, but that was just playing around off-road. Unless you corner aggressively like a racer all the time you should have no issues.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Cant get my head around a recumbent....they just dont look comfy.

The riding position is different and you have to get your legs use to it, it's not like riding a bike and you do feel every bump in the road, OK suspension if you have the money around £6 – 7 thousand with all the bells and whistles can sort that out, but for that price a small car would be better, it all depends what you want and what you expect it to do.
On a smooth road they are lovely and comfortable to ride, the best thing I have every bought for practically and enjoyment.

DRHysted

Guru
Cant get my head around a recumbent....they just dont look comfy.

My 75 year old mum on a modified KMX with e-assist.

View: https://youtu.be/UydO2PrtxHE

DRHysted

Guru
I have to admit that the time I flipped it, it was because I couldn’t quite miss a fallen tree. The trike pivoted and slid on its side, I gracefully slid off the seat and down the path. The only damage was a tear on the shoulder of my jersey. If I’d have been on a normal bike, I’d have gone flying over the handlebars!!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I currently have an Ice Adventure HD which I may sell soon as I have committed to buying a used Kettwiesel which is delta ie one wheel at the front.
It has all the bells and whistles and even second hand is as much as a used car. Even knocking the asking price down it is still pretty expensive but I hope worth it.
I have never had any problem with the Adventure but the one I am getting has e-assist as I am sadly beginning to feel the effects of age.
My advice is go for it as the advantages are massive particularly if you have balance problems as I do.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The riding position is different and you have to get your legs use to it, it's not like riding a bike and you do feel every bump in the road, OK suspension if you have the money around £6 – 7 thousand with all the bells and whistles can sort that out, but for that price a small car would be better, it all depends what you want and what you expect it to do.
On a smooth road they are lovely and comfortable to ride, the best thing I have every bought for practically and enjoyment.

I agree totally

Top Bottom